5:30 - 6:00: Networking | 6:00 - 8:00: Presentation and Pizza
Upgrading Crappy Code to Clean Code
by Michael Wheeler
It's not easy, but you will like the outcome!
We have all seen it and written it, code that we would not want our arch nemesis to run in production. There it is staring us down. We wonder how can we improve on it, there is just too much going on with the code that we are not sure of where to start. How could we improve this? How do we make it manageable? How do we know How do you know we are not going to have it all come crashing down on us?
In this talk, Michael will cover the following:
- What is crappy code?
- How can good code evolve into crap code?
- Why do we all write crappy code from time to time?
- What are the issues with crappy code and why does it drag everybody down?
- How can we continue working with the code and make it better at the same time?
- What should the goals be for making clean code?
- What can you do tomorrow to start upgrading to clean code?
BIO Michael has been in the Information Technology field since 1999 writing software applications for companies of all sizes. He has worked on internal line of business applications as while as forward facing client applications. He has written web services, windows services, desktop, web and mobile applications. He enjoys learning new technologies and new ways to write cleaner code. He likes working with other developers to help improve their skills while at the same time improving his. He has recently started organizing Code Retreats in Wisconsin.