addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Kevin D.
user 102171762
Tampa, FL
Post #: 1
Am I the only one in the group who really does not like meetup.com?
Craig M.
user 81436522
Tampa, FL
Well, possibly. It has a lot of functions that are time-savers for those running the club. Having said that, I am otherwise ambivalent. I just see it a tool. I am in another organization that tried meetup and it wasn't at all useful.

What don't you like?

Craig
Patricia D.
user 102089202
Tampa, FL
Am I the only one in the group who really does not like meetup.com?
Second that! The postings are particularly hard to follow. There seems to be places to post in the discussion area as well as after every MARS event.
Kevin D.
user 102171762
Tampa, FL
Post #: 2
Well, possibly. It has a lot of functions that are time-savers for those running the club. Having said that, I am otherwise ambivalent. I just see it a tool. I am in another organization that tried meetup and it wasn't at all useful.

It's too complicated, and the email notifications that I get seem to be random. Case in point, I had to log into the web site just to see that anyone replied to what I had posted and even then I actually had to go looking for it. As I'm writing this, I now see a check box to "track this discussion" but that's an extra step that I shouldn't have to do. Plus there are too many places to post. It's a little much for someone who has just put in 9 hours at work to try to keep track of. And then there is the spam in the form of notifications of every meetup group in the area, cooking meetup's, dating meetup's, business meetup's, and so on......Now that I have finished venting, I'm not even sure that I've done correctly. It should be as simple as sending or replying to an email...

What don't you like?

Craig

Kevin D.
user 102171762
Tampa, FL
Post #: 3
Case in point number two. Notice how my response to your post appears right in the middle of your post. Too complicated...

Kevin
Craig M.
user 81436522
Tampa, FL
Post #: 2
It's too complicated, and the email notifications that I get seem to be random. Case in point, I had to log into the web site just to see that anyone replied to what I had posted and even then I actually had to go looking for it. As I'm writing this, I now see a check box to "track this discussion" but that's an extra step that I shouldn't have to do. Plus there are too many places to post. It's a little much for someone who has just put in 9 hours at work to try to keep track of. And then there is the spam in the form of notifications of every meetup group in the area, cooking meetup's, dating meetup's, business meetup's, and so on......Now that I have finished venting, I'm not even sure that I've done correctly. It should be as simple as sending or replying to an email...

Ah, no argument from me on that. The other functions are good for running the club. The discussion board is poorly organized. I get the "daily summary" and just glance at them. When I joined, I poked around until I found where to turn off almost all notifications (like of other meetups). Also, the "Good to see you" things after the meetings have a little bit of the feeling of the emotional blackmail most of us dealt with in the High School dating scene. (Which probably only means I still have "scars" from that.) smile For the record, I don't respond to those much. If I do, it's usually because I had an extensive (and fun) discussion with you at the meeting.

So to narrow your original comment a bit. I am sure you are not the only one that doesn't like this part of meetup. It's good for getting the word out about events. It's good for getting the word out to potential members and other interested persons. Bad as a discussion board. Perhaps it's by design, so that we will actually "meet up" in person. Nah... that's a stretch.

Craig
Dennis F.
user 80615642
Tampa, FL
Post #: 3
The biggest advantage to the club is that we no longer have to maintain membership email lists.
This was a time consuming task that no longer requires our time.
As Craig mentioned, if you click the 'my profile' tab at the top of the page, you can select email and notification options that suite your needs.
There probably isn't a perfect solution, but this one works better than what we have been doing in the past for those that are doing the work.
Kevin D.
user 102171762
Tampa, FL
Post #: 4
Yeah, it sounds like Craig and I are pretty much on the same page. I totally understand how it makes running the club easier, it's mainly the notifications and discussions part that I really don't like. It would be nice if club members could interact online as easily as you can in the yahoo groups.