We will discuss how the emergence of cheap shale gas is changing the economics for clean energy such as solar, wind, biofuel, waste-to-energy, and others. We believe this is a topic of broad interest and concern among many cleantech entrepreneurs.
• Discuss the economics of shale gas.
• Discuss the environmental issues related to extraction of shale gas.
• Understand how availability of cheap gas might impact financing of renewable energy.
• Clean energy entrepreneurs who want to know how cheap shale gas will impact the ability to their finance projects.
• How important is shale gas expected to be in the next 10 to 20 years?
• How will the low price of shale gas make it difficult to finance renewable energy projects?
• Will increased use of shale gas result in a push towards relaxing the renewable portfolio standards (RPS)?
• Are the environmental concerns about fracking sufficiently serious to change the volume of shale gas drilling?
• Maybe we should promote the idea that gas should subsidize the renewable energy? Carbon tax would probably be effective.
• Can shale gas and renewable energy be complimentary?
• There is already a trend towards converting and retiring old coal-burning power plants with gas fired plants. Is that desirable?
1:30 pm Doors open & networking
2:00 pm Meeting objectives by Bjorn Frogner
2:10 pm Panel discussions:
• David W. Conover, Dutko Grayling, “Climate Change and Shale Gas Politics.”
• Shawn Bender, Beitzel Corp, “Economic, practical, and responsible potential of shale gas based on personal oil and gas industry experience.
• Nick Cheremisinoff, Princeton Energy Resources International (PERI), “The need for more stringent regulations and monitoring.”
• Arjun Makhijani, Institute for Energy and Environmental Research: “Road Map to Zero Carbon and Zero Nuclear. How does Shale Gas Change the Roadmap?”
• Alan Krupnick, Resources for the Future, “Long-Term Impact on US Energy Market”
• Megan Jenny, Chesapeake Climate Action Network, “CCAN's perspective regarding shale gas.”
3:40 pm Q&A discussion
4:15 pm Networking