This event to explore the Central Park. I add up some new location to visit in this walk.Most area, what we going to covered in this walk have a information down here and history of each location. Please read before come to walk so you will enjoy to know the history of our City and Central park.
We going to finish our walk at Grand Army Plaza, 5th Ave ,Between 58 and 60 street. You will find several Subway train station to get back home. We might extend our event to go to 42nd street to see the Tourist crowed of our city and go to Marrior Marquies at the 8th Floor at 47 st and Broadway to sit down and relax. Its a nice place to visit. Buy some food around their to eat for evening when we around 42nd street.
We meet at 12:45 PM. We wait for everyone until 1:15 PM and then walk start.Please come early so you can meet and greet each other before start walk.
Please bring your water bottle, Food to eat,we will stop middle of walk to have a picnic to eat. Some water fountain in park still not working.
We will covered lot of area and might stop more time to see all fun during this walk. So well prepared for more time to spent for your day with us.
We might to see beautiful Spring Flowers blooming in side the Garden and around the park.
Here is Highlight of each are what we plan to covered in this walk.:
Conservatory Garden Center Fountain
With its elegant geyser fountain standing before a wrought-iron wisteria pergola, the Italian-designed Center Garden is an enchanting spot. From the steps of Vanderbilt Gate on Fifth Avenue and 105th Street, the sweeping view of the Center Garden's formal green lawn is capped at the far end with this elegant geyser fountain. One of three stylized gardens that make up the six-acre Conservatory Garden, the Center Garden features hallmarks of its classic Italian design, geometric shaped vegetation, and fountains. The Italian garden is a popular site for wedding photography. In spring, its the fitting floral backdrop to the annual Frederick Law Olmsted Awards Luncheon of the Conservancy's Women's Committee.
Inside Conservatory Garden, East Side from 104th-106th streets; enter at Fifth Avenue and 105th street, or 106th St. gate inside Park
The Conservatory Garden is Central Park's six-acre formal garden. It is divided into three smaller gardens, each with a distinct style: Italian, French, and English. The Garden's main entrance is through the Vanderbilt Gate, on Fifth Avenue between 104th and 105th Streets. This magnificent iron gate, made in Paris in 1894, originally stood before the Vanderbilt mansion at Fifth Avenue and 58th Street.
The Italianate center garden is composed of a large lawn surrounded by yew hedges and is bordered by two exquisite allées of spring-blooming pink and white crabapple trees. A 12-foot high jet fountain plays on the western end of the lawn, backed by tiered hedges and stairs that lead up to a wisteria pergola. On the walkway under the pergola are medallions inscribed with the names of the original 13 states.
The northern, French-style garden showcases parterres of germander and spectacular seasonal displays of spring tulips, and Korean chrysanthemums in autumn, all within an ellipse of Japanese holly. In the center is the charming Three Dancing Maidens fountain by German sculptor, Walter Schott. To the south is the very intimate English-style garden. There are five mixed borders of trees, shrubs and perennial plants, and five seasonal beds featuring spring bulbs that are followed by annual flower displays. A slope of woodland plants lines the western edge of this garden. At the center is sculptor Bessie Potter Vonnoh's lovely Frances Hodgeson Burnett Memorial Fountain, a tribute to the author of the children's book, The Secret Garden. The children — a girl and a boy, said to depict Mary and Dickon, the main characters from the classic — stand at one end of a small water lily pool.
The Conservatory Garden is an officially designated Quiet Zone and offers a calm and colorful setting for a leisurely stroll, and intimate wedding, or an escape with a good book.
For many years the garden was tended by volunteers from the Garden Club of America and in 1983 it was restored by the Central Park Conservancy.
East Side from 104th-106th Streets. Enter at Fifth Avenue and 105th Street, or 106th Street gate inside the Park.
» Map It
Hours: 8am to dusk
Wheelchair access at 106th St. gate inside Park
Quiet Zone (dogs must be leashed and kept on pathways at all times; no running, rollerblading, or bike riding; no organized, active recreation or sports allowed; headphones required for radios)
Perhaps the most secluded and peaceful area of Central Park, the North Woods (located at Central Park's northwest corner) offers a taste of the Adirondack Mountains just a few subway stops away from Times Square.
The North Woods is one of the Park's three woodlands (along with the Ramble and Hallett Nature Sanctuary), offering people and wildlife an oasis of nature in the middle of New York City. The heart of the North Woods is the Ravine. Fallen trees, or snags, are left where they land (unless hazardous or obscuring paths), providing nutrients to surrounding plants, homes to wildlife and a natural look to the landscape.
Once entering through the magnificent rustic Glen Span Arch at the eastern edge of the Pool (between 100th and 103rd Streets), Park visitors are treated to a view of the Loch, a stream rebuilt by the Conservancy in the 1990s. The North Woods is a favorite spot of birdwatchers and hikers. Free guided tours are available regularly. You can learn more about the North Woods, and the Park's other woodlands (the Ramble and the Hallett Nature Sanctuary), through one of our Woodland Discovery Programs.
East Side to Mid-Park from 101nd - 110nd Streets.
Central Park's oldest building, the Blockhouse is also the only remaining fortification of the many built in 1814 to defend against the British. It stands on the edge of a high precipice above the lower topography of Harlem. The rugged stone structure once had a sunken wooden roof and mobile cannon that could be deployed quickly. Today, the Blockhouse is empty, roofless, and securely locked.
West Side at 109th Street and Central Park West.
Shakespeare Garden is a four-acre landscape is named for the famed English poet and playwright. The garden is features flowers and plants mentioned in his poems and plays, with small bronze plaques scattered throughout the garden with quotes from the Bard.
The garden was first conceived in the 1880s when park commissioner George Clausen asked the Park's entomologist to create a garden adjacent to the nature study center in the Swedish Cottage. In 1913, Commissioner Gaynor dedicated it officially to the works of Shakespeare. After years of neglect, Shakespeare Garden, just as most of Central Park, fell into disrepair. In 1987, Central Park Conservancy restored and expanded the garden, repaving pathways and installing rustic wooden benches and bronze plaques with quotations from the Bard's masterpiece.
West Side between 79th and 80th Streets.
To use the words of Park designer Frederick Law Olmsted, The Ramble is a 38-acre "wild garden." Central Park's designers imagined a tranquil spot where visitors could stroll, discover forest gardens rich with plantings, and meander along the paths. This truly is a place for the urban explorer to escape the city and get utterly lost in nature.
This was one of the first parts of the Park to be built, and except for the bedrock platform, it is totally artificial. Even the water running in the stream and the adjacent Lake is turned on and off like a faucet. Some of the trees you see date back to 1859 when the Ramble was planted.
Beneath the leafy canopy, you are surrounded by a thriving wildlife habitat. Because of its location on the Atlantic Flyway — the migration route birds follow in the spring and fall — the Ramble is the center of birding activity in the Park. Over 230 species have been spotted, and over 40 other species remain in the Park all year long.
Every year, more than 25 million people visit Central Park, which is more than any other urban Park in the world. By working with environmental groups, the Central Park Conservancy has developed a woodland restoration and management plan, which involves your participation as well.
First, "carry in, carry out." All of the trash and recycling bins have been removed from inside the Ramble, and placed at the entrances. If you enjoy a picnic in this beautiful setting, don't forget to take your leftovers with you and dispose of them properly. It's a simple gesture, but it really helps the environment and the Conservancy staff responsible for its care.
Mid-Park from 73rd to 79th Streets.
» Map It
Calvert Vaux, co-designer of Central Park, created the miniature castle in 1869 as one of its many whimsical structures intended as a lookout to the reservoir to the north (now the Great Lawn) and the Ramble to the south. Belvedere provides the best and highest views of the Park and its cityscape. It's fitting, considering its name translates to "beautiful view" in Italian.
"Right now, the temperature in Central Park is..." Since 1919, the National Weather Service has taken measurements onf New York's weather from the castle's tower with the aid of scientific instruments that measure wind speed and direction. In a fenced-in compound just south of the castle, other data such as the rainfall is recorded and sent to the weather service's forecast office at Brookhaven National Library on Long Island. After decades of deterioration, Central Park Conservancy renovated and reopened the castle in 1983 as a visitor center.
Mid-Park at 79th Street
» Map It
10am-5pm daily, except Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day
Rising from Bethesda Terrace is Bethesda Fountain, with the famous Angel of the Waters statue atop. The statue references the Gospel of John, which describes an angel blessing the Pool of Bethesda and giving it healing powers. The fountain commemorates the Croton water system, which first brought fresh water to New York City in 1842. The angel carries a lily in her left hand — a symbol of the water's purity, very important to a city that had previously suffered from a devastating cholera epidemic before the system was established. The piece is the only statue that was commissioned for the Park. Created by Emma Stebbins, it also marked the first time a woman received a public art commission in New York City.
Mid-Park on the north side of 72nd Street
Ramble Stone Arch
This rough stone arch stands in a cleft between two high rock outcrops. It is considered one of the most picturesque of Central Park's bridges.
Nestled in a dense nook of trees and shrubbery on the west side of the Ramble, the rough stone arch carries a narrow walkway and a footpath below. Built in large-part of boulders found in the Park, the arch measures five feet across and more than 13 feet high, with a nine-foot underpass. In the 19th century an opening on the eastern side of the arch contained steps to an underground cave that was bordered up in the 1920s.
West Side at 77th Street on the northern end of The Lake.
» Map It
This fountain honors children’s book author Frances Eliza Hodgson Burnett. Friends of Burnett wanted to memorialize her after her death in 1924 with a storytelling area in Central Park. The Conservatory Garden, which reopened to the public in 1937, was chosen as the perfect site for the memorial. Some refer to the two figures, a reclining boy playing the flute and a young girl holding the bowl, as effigies of Mary and Dickon, the main characters in
The Secret Garden
. The bowl is a functioning birdbath where small birds drink during three seasons of the year. The sculpture stands on the edge of a small concrete pool that features a variety of water lilies. It was one of the earliest statues restored by Central Park Conservancy in the 1980s.
In Conservatory Garden at 104th Street and Fifth Avenue. Main entrance at 105th Street and Fifth Avenue.
» Map It
In the novel Marathon Man, the main character muses that, "Whoever invented the reservoir must have done it with him alone in mind. It was without flaw, a perfect lake set in the most unexpected of locations." Anyone who has ever run, walked, or stood watching the sun rise or set over the water feels that same way. There's a sense of space and solitude here, unlike any other part of the Park.
President Bill Clinton, Madonna, and Jackie Kennedy Onassis (who the reservoir was named for in 1994) are among the runners who have taken to this 1.58 mile track. You might recall the unsightly seven-foot high chain-link fence that used to obscure the view. When scuba divers discovered a piece of the original fence at the very bottom of the reservoir, Central Park Conservancy commissioned a steel fence with cast-iron ornamentation, closely resembling the original. The current fence was completed in 2003, stands four-feet-high, and has opened up breathtaking views of the Park and surrounding cityscapes. The reservoir is 40 feet deep and holds a billion gallons of water. It was built in the 1860s as a temporary water supply for New York City, while the Croton Water system was shut down for repairs two weeks each year. At the time, it was unthinkable that a billion gallons of water would last less than two weeks. Today, some speculate that the City would go through that supply in just four hours. The reservoir was decommissioned in 1993, deemed obsolete because of the Third Water Tunnel.
85th Street to 96th Street, from east to west.
» Map It
Reservoir Running Track
Featuring an unsurpassed view of nearly 100 acres of water and the Manhattan skyline, this 1.58-mile track loops around the Reservoir and is one of the most iconic running spots in the entire world.
It wasn’t always this popular, or as beautiful. Until 2003, the view of the Reservoir and cityscape was obscured by a seven-foot-high chain-link fence. The Central Park Conservancy restored the original fence after scuba divers discovered a piece of it in the Reservoir, commissioning a steel replica with cast-iron ornamentation. At just four feet high, the new fence allows for improved views and a better experience for runners and visitors.
The running track spans almost the entire width of the Park, and reaches from 86th Street to 96th Street. For more information on upcoming projects involving the Reservoir Running Track, please see below.
85th Street to 96th Street, from east to west.
» Map It
Arthur Ross Pinetum
The Arthur Ross Pinetum is a four-acre landscape that features 17 different species of pine trees.
Evergreens played an important role in the original plan for Central Park. Designers Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux planned a "Winter Drive" of pines, spruces and firs that stretched along the Park's western carriage road from 72nd to 102nd Street. By the end of the 19th century, when the original trees needed replacement, they were replaced with deciduous trees.
In the 1970s, native New Yorker and philanthropist Arthur Ross set out to return pine trees to Central Park. Due to a professional background in the pulp and paper business, Ross developed a passion for evergreens and first decided to hide buildings on the 86th Street Transverse Road with pine trees. Eventually Ross decided to plant a Pinetum and added about 35 trees a year with species from Macedonia, Japan, and the Himalayas. The Himalayan pines were his favorite, known as a hardy evergreen that grows 30 to 50 feet tall, with soft, blue-green needles. You can see them lining the pathways from the East Drive, along the Great Lawn to the West Drive.
Mid-Park between 84th and 86th Streets
» Map It
This green 55-acre area is the geographical center of Central Park, and one of the most famous lawns in the world.
The Great Lawn was originally the site of the rectangular Croton Reservoir. When Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux were designing Central Park, they disliked the reservoir's rectangular shape, a contrast to their vision for a curvilinear, naturalistic landscape. The designers compensated by using dense plantings to camouflage the site from park visitors. The reservoir was drained in 1931 and filled with excavation material from Rockefeller Center and the Eighth Avenue subway.
A flurry of site proposals followed. Suggestions included a World War I soldiers memorial, airport landing pads, a sports arena, an opera house, underground parking garages, and even a vault to store motion pictures. Olmsted and Vaux's vision of a rural retreat ultimately prevailed. The oval lawn opened in 1937, with baseball diamonds added in the 1950s.
Through the years, the Great Lawn played host to memorable performances by Simon and Garfunkel, Diana Ross, Bon Jovi, the Metropolitan Opera, and the New York Philharmonic. Unfortunately, such large gatherings and unregulated use through the 1960s and 70s left the oval a "Great Dust Bowl." In 1997, Central Park Conservancy completed a major two-year restoration of the Great Lawn to its original splendor.
Mid-Park from 79th to 85th Street.
» Map It
Open mid-April - mid-November.
Romeo and Juliet
The entrance to the Delacorte Theatre is guarded by two life-size sculptures,
Romeo and Juliet
, which feature characters from Shakespeare's plays.
Romeo and Juliet
depicts the lovers as they are about to kiss, with Romeo bending over Juliet whose head is thrown back. The simplicity of the sculpture lends additional innocence to the moment.
Mid-park at 80th Street near the Delacorte Theater.
» Map It
Bronze on granite pedestal
George T. Delacorte
The Lake in Central Park
The 20-acre Lake is the largest of Central Park's naturalistic water bodies.
Park designers Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux created the Lake from a former swamp, for boating in the summer and ice-skating in the winter. In 2012 the Central Park Conservancy completed the comprehensive restoration of the Lake and its surrounding landscapes. With the water's edge having slowly crumbled and eroded through the years, the Conservancy set out in 2006 to stabilize its shoreline. The team excavated and removed excess sediments, then reconstructed the shoreline with rustic boulders on a stabilized gravel base. Using coir logs, created from the binding of coconut fibers with biodegradable netting, the Conservancy reconstructed the vast shoreline Staked at the base of the slope where the normal water level meets the shoreline, the logs serve to protect the Lake's edge from erosion until plants can become established. The coir logs are a sustainable solution to the Lake's restoration, and one that's helping preserve the beauty of its lush landscapes and the health of its wildlife habitat.
Mid-Park from 71st to 78th Streets.
» Map It
The first cast-iron bridge in the Park (and the second oldest in America), the bridge is named for its graceful shape, reminiscent of the bow of an archer or violinist. This handsomely designed cast-iron bridge spans the Lake, linking Cherry Hill with the woodland of the Ramble When the Park was first planned, the commissioners requested a suspension bridge. The designers compromised with this refined, low-lying bridge.
Today, Bow Bridge is one of New York's most romantic settings and a muse for photographers. Rising from the bridge are eight cast-iron urns, installed by Central Park Conservancy in 2008 as replicas of the originals that had disappeared by the early 1920s. A skilled team of Conservancy craftsmen used historic images and took cues from an urn thought to be an exact model of those that originally adorned the Bridge.
Mid-Park at 74th Street west of Bethesda Terrace, connecting Cherry Hill and The Ramble.
» Map It
Boating on the Lake, Central Park's second largest water body, is a great way to spend a lazy summer afternoon in the Park. Row boating on the Lake is available April through October, weather permitting. Row boats can be rented at the Loeb Boathouse daily, 10:00 am to 5:30 pm. The boats must be returned by 6:30 pm. Rentals cost $12 for the first hour and $3 each additional 15 minutes. A $30 cash deposit required. Up to four people permitted per boat. No reservations required.
This sculpture honors the sled dog who saved Alaska's children from a diphtheria epidemic by delivering medicine over the frozen tundra. In January 1925, Alaskan doctors feared a deadly diphtheria epidemic would spread among the children of Nome. Medicine to stop the outbreak existed, but doctors needed to travel nearly a thousand miles to Anchorage to retrieve it. More than 20 sled teams coordinated to make the trip through blinding snow and sub-zero temperatures. Lead by Balto, the team covered 53 treacherous miles back to Nome in 20 hours. Newspapers and radio around the world followed the trek, fascinated by the brave team whose efforts eventually helped end the epidemic.
Balto became a national hero. Just 10 months after the successful mission, this statue by animal sculptor Frederick G. R. Roth was dedicated in Central Park.
East Drive at 67th Street
» Map It
Frederick George Richard Roth [masked])
Bronze statue with slate tablet over natural rock
Balto Monument Committee to the City of New York
Central Park's drives provide a challenging course for in-line skating. Circling the entire Park, the drives provide three long distance routes - 6.1 miles, 5.2 miles or 1.7 miles, or shorter distances if you cross the Park at a number of scenic locations
Conservatory Water in Central Park
This area is popular with families and children because of the famous climbing sculptures, the story-telling programs, the model boats, the cafe, and the site in the children's classic Stuart Little. An ornamental pond was constructed as a reflecting pool for a glass conservatory, but when the plan for a structure was abandoned, the water body became the popular model boat pond, inspired by those in Parisian parks.
From April through October, children and boat enthusiasts come to navigate radio and wind-powered vessels across the shimmering waters. It's such a popular destination that writer E.B. White set the whimsical boat scene in his children's classic, Stuart Little, here. It was recreated in the 1999 film of the same name. Just east of the pond, visitors can rent a model boat or eat at the outdoor tables of the Kerbs Memorial Boathouse. Conservatory Water provides a serene background for a host of other activities. In the coldest winter months, the pond's water level is frequently lowered for free public ice skating. In the summer, the beloved Hans Christian Andersen statue west of the pond is home to a children's storytelling series. Birders also flock to the area, binoculars in hand, searching for signs of the famed red-tailed hawks of Fifth Avenue. In 1993, the Central Park Conservancy refurbished the Boathouse's terrace, incorporating the benches and planting beds you see today. The Conservancy later restored the pond, replacing the concrete stone with durable and attractive granite.
East Side from 72nd to 75th Street
» Map It
Kerbs Boathouse Café and Central Park Sailboat Concession
Please note: Dogs must be leashed at all times on the Kerbs Boathouse Plaza
At Loeb Boathouse, visitors can rent rowboats and bikes, hire an authentic Venetian gondola, or dine overlooking views of the Lake. Boating on the Lake has been a popular pastime from the Park's earliest days. Six rustic landings originally dotted the water's edge, and a number of kisoks functioned as ticket booths where visitors could hire rowboats, gondolas and even multi-seat call boats. As interest in rowing grew, the Lake needed a proper boathouse. In 1874, Park architect Calvert Vaux designed a rustic building on the eastern shoreline on the spot where the boats are stored today, to provide covered space for docking and storage. With its charming Victorian touches, the building also featured a second-story terrace that afforded beautiful views of the Ramble.
A popular draw for more than 80 years, the boathouse fell into disrepair by 1950 and was soon torn down. The Loeb Boathouse that New Yorkers and visitors know so well today opened at the Lake's northeastern tip in 1954. There is a formal dining room and a popular cafeteria that evens has a welcoming fireplace in winter. The Boathouse also serves as the unofficial headquarters for birdwatchers who record their sightings in a loose-leaf notebook that is kept inside the Boathouse. The hand-written sitings of bird life has become a cherished Park tradition.
Monday - Friday
Dinner: April - November, 5:30pm-9:30pm
Dinner: April - November, 6 pm - 9:30 pm
Outdoor Bar and Grill
April - November, 11am-11pm weather permitting
Daily 8am–8pm (Winter 8am-4:30pm)
Row Boat Rentals
April - November, weather permitting.
Daily 10am till dusk.
$20 cash deposit, $12 for the first hour, $2.50 each additional 15 mins; up to 4 people.
Call[masked] for more information.
$30 per half hour with host Andres Garcia, weather permitting. Up to 6 people.
East Side between 74th and 75th Streets
» Map It
Central Park Zoo
Central Park's new, state-of-the-art Zoo was built when the
Wildlife Conservation Society
took over the management in 1984. It showcases animals from tropical, temperate, and polar zones around the world. Restrooms are available with admission fee.
A favorite with many visitors is the sea lion pool in the center courtyard. Its new design features glass sides so that viewers can watch these sleek carnivorous mammals gliding and spiraling under water. During feeding time (11:30 am, 2:00 pm, and 4:00 pm) the four sea lions perform simple tricks for their meal. Equally fine is the lush perennial garden surrounding the pool, with benches tucked into corners. Of course, the nearby penguins and the backstroking polar bear are perennial attractions.
Visitors can see vestiges of the old Zoo preserved in the new. Limestone reliefs by Frederick G. R. Roth of antelopes, birds, monkeys, lions, and wolves from the old animal houses have been incorporated into the new buildings.
The newest addition is the Tisch Children's Zoo. Probably the most popular with the stroller set are the domestic animal areas around the perimeter. Here children can get close to goats, sheep, a cow and a Vietnamese pot-bellied pig. A quarter in one of the dispensers will buy a handful of nutritious food for the animals to nibble out of your hand. Small bronze sculptures of the animals stand next to each pen. When a child touches a sculpture it emits the appropriate cry or squawk. Also in the area are models of giant turtle shells, fish heads, and rabbit ears that demonstrate the mechanisms of sight, sound and body structure.
In the center of the Children's Zoo is the Enchanted Forest. Artisans mimicked the colossal remains of primeval oak trees, acorns, and a giant spider. In the central aviary -- actually a complete habitat -- you will see live turtles and frogs along with birds. You'll also find one of the two children's theaters there. The other theater is in the central courtyard. A troupe of actors at the Acorn Theater in the Tisch Children's Zoo performs daily shows. Past shows include
Between the main Zoo and the Children's Zoo is the George Delacorte Musical Clock, which is built on a triple archway of brick. On the north side of the arches are Frederick G. R. Roth's
bronze sculptures dating from 1935. From 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on the hour and half-hour, one of 44 tunes plays while a bear with tambourine, a hippopotamus with violin, a goat with pan pipes, a kangaroo and offspring with horns and a penguin with drum glide around the base of the clock. In addition, on the hour two monkeys on the top of the clock appear to strike a bell.
From about March 21 through June 21, the nursery rhymes are replaced by spring melodies such as
Younger Than Springtime
April in Paris
It Might as Well be Spring
. For the winter holiday season, from just after Thanksgiving to the second week in January, visitors can listen to such favorites as
Deck the Halls
Joy to the World
East Side between 63rd and 66th Streets
» Map It
April through October: Monday-Friday 10am-5pm
November through March:
Open daily 10am-4:30pm
Admission to Central Park Zoo includes admission to Children's Zoo
The Sea Lions are fed every day at 11:30am, 2pm and 4pm
For information call
Café and Gift Shop
Designed by Paul Manship, the renowned sculptor of Prometheus at Rockefeller Center's skating rink, the Group of Bears at the Pat Hoffman Freedman Playground, and the Osborn Gates at the Ancient Playground, it depicts animals, birds, and boys playing panpipes in a fanciful art Deco scrolling lintel. The whole composition is a lovely commentary on the interaction between children and animals, fitting for the zoo entrance. The Lehman Gates were donated by Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman in honor of their 50th wedding anniversary upon the opening of the Children's Zoo in 1961.
They were restored by the Conservancy in the 1980s.
At the entrance to the Tisch Children's Zoo, inside the Park at Fifth Avenue at 66th Street.
» Map It
Paul Manship [masked])
Placed in Park:
Bronze on a granite pedestal
Governor and Mrs. Herbert H. Lehman
Grand Army Plaza
Grand Army Plaza is the gateway to Central Park. Of the four corners of Central Park, it's the only one that's officially part of the Park's 843-acre landscape. It is actually two plazas. 59th Street bisects it into two semicircles, a split design inspired by Paris' famed Place de la Concorde.
The southern half, opposite the Plaza Hotel, is home to the Pulitzer Fountain. Sculptor Karl Bitter designed the fountain in the Italian Renaissance tradition. The fountain is crowned with a graceful bronze figure of Pomona, goddess of abundance. On the fountain's plaza, as well as on the northern plaza, are flowerbeds designed and maintained by the Central Park Conservancy.
The plaza was finished in 1916. It takes its name from the Grand Army of the Potomac, which was the Union Army in the American Civil War. The bronze statue, regilded by the Conservancy in 2013, depicts Union General William Tecumseh Sherman by American artist Augustus Saint Gaudens. When the Civil War ended, Sherman moved to New York City and rode his horse and carriage through Central Park daily.
In October 2011 an early snowstorm damaged the trees surrounding the Sherman statue. The Conservancy is planning to restore the plaza with new trees, plantings, paving and fixtures in the near future.
Fifth Avenue between 58th and 60th Streets.
» Map It
Ice skaters on Wollman Rink.
Feel the nip of New York's crisp winter air, enjoy the music, and take in the incomparable surroundings as you ice skate at one of Central Park's ice rinks. From November through March skating is available in the southern end of the Park at Wollman Rink and in the northern end at Lasker Rink. Skate and locker rentals are available at both locations.
The Pond is one of Central Parks seven naturalistic water bodies. When Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux designed Central Park, they imagined an immediate reprieve from the City's streets. The Pond became a serene escape, just feet from Fifth Avenue. Despite the millions of visitors who walk by the waters edge each year, there is still a sense of solitude, particularly on the western arm bordering Hallett Nature Sanctuary. Hallett is a fenced-in, wooded promontory that juts into the Pond.
Behind Hallett's enclosures is a 3.5-acre ecosystem that mimics the wild, where small animals and birds can thrive in a secluded habitat. The Central Park Conservancy completed a reconstruction of the Pond in 2001, which included new shoreline and perimeter plantings, an island habitat for birds and turtles, a series of small pools and spillways, a cascade, and a series of seasonal floral displays at the edge of the large lawn.
Central Park South between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.
SUBWAY DIRECTION :
TAKE # 6 TO 96 STREET AND WALK TOWARDS TO 5th Ave or Take M 86 bus from there.
M-1,M-2,M-3 and M-4 : Madison Ave bus to 96 street and walk one block to 5th Ave.