addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Mad-Railers Message Board › about_koans

about_koans

A former member
Post #: 3
Two questions about the Koans tonight:

(1) In about_hashes.rb, I pass test_accessing_hashes_with_fetch by adding assert_raise(IndexError,KeyError)­. I know others just added assert_raise(KeyError) and got a pass. This failed on my machine...why?

(2) What's the point of all_symbols? I see that it gives an array of all the symbols... but I'm missing the point of having it around.
Matt M.
user 13547322
Madison, WI
Post #: 1
1. KeyError is a subclass of IndexError. I believe that if you list multiple exception classes in assert_raise then you are indicating that the exception can be any of the listed exceptions. Does it work if you just do assert_raise(IndexError) ?

2. I am not aware of very many practical uses for all_symbols. I think the only time I have used it was to see if I had code that was generating a lot of extra symbols. See http://blade.nagaokau...­
Matt M.
user 13547322
Madison, WI
Post #: 2
Actually, I think I understand your issue for #1. KeyError only exists in Ruby 1.9. If you are running 1.8 then you will need to use IndexError.