This is an interest survey. Please sign up only if you can honestly see yourself going on this trip. I'm trying to gauge interest.
Smoky Mountains National Park has been on my list of places to visit for a long time. So, let's see who's interested. We'll drive to Gatlinburg (about 10 hours) - or you can fly and meet us there - and camp at the Elkmont Campground. If we're lucky, we'll hit the firefly season and be able to see the synchronous firefly show. In past years, it has taken place at this time.
This will be a car camping trip. We'll camp in one spot and spend time hiking the gorgeous trails and destinations in the park. Hikes will likely vary from 2-12 miles per day. We could even do some other touristy things (Like the Elvis Museum) too if folks are interested. There will be plenty of time to relax and spend time alone as well.
- Visitor Center Orientation
- Nature Programs
- Wildflower Viewing
- Firefly Viewing (if we are lucky)
- Many smaller hikes with at least one longer hike (up to 12 miles) to an outstanding destination.
- Area Attractions
There are many, many beautiful trails to hike. Here are few that are possibilities.
Mount Le Conte Trail - 11 miles round trip
Brushy Mountain (Trillium Gap) 6.8 miles
Little River Trail 4.9 miles
Right now, I'm thinking that we would drive down on Saturday or Sunday and be there for Memorial Day. We would then stay the week and return the following weekend.
The campground has restrooms and water but no electricity and showers. There are no showers anywhere in the park. Showers are available outside the park at private campgrounds. Or, we can bring a solar shower.
Link to group camp, if we get enough people: Again, no electric or showers available.
- Must be able to hike a minimum of 2 miles per hour for 4 hours with breaks on hilly terrain (these are mountains). I'm envisioning that we would work up to a long, all day hike of about 12 miles. More will be outlined as I do some research and put the trip together.
- Must be able to hike hills and valleys.
- Must have a good day pack with room for 2 liters of water and food.
- Must have good boots, rain gear, tent, sleeping bag, coolers, etc.
- Must have some experience with camping. This is not a beginner trip.
- Must be flexible and easy going.
- Must be 18 years of age +
We would likely car pool and share food and gas costs.