What’s BEAUTIFUL --and What’s UGLY?Come Share Your Tastes, Life Experiences, Reflections, Enthusiasms, and Betes Noir.
Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2016
6:00 sharp (earlier than usual) - 8:00 pm (please arrive by 5:45)
Conversation with Ron Gross
Adelphi University’s Manhattan Center
75 Varick Street , 2ND floor
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
(1) Please tell us about one thing that you find beautiful – or ugly. Bring it or a picture to share, if you can.
(2) Do we pay too much attention to beauty – or not enough?
(3) How do you feel about our cultural biases about what and who is beautiful – and ugly?
(4) Do men and women differ in their ideas of what’s beautiful, and what’s ugly?
(5) Socrates, Lincoln, and Jean-Paul Sartre were all regarded, by themselves and others, as ugly. How do you feel about “ugliness”? (And one synomym for “ugly” is GULP “gross”!)
(6) How could you nurture more experiences of beauty in your life?
Optional Reading: Wikipedia has an excellent article on Beauty. Deeper dive: BEAUTY: A Very Short Introduction, by Roger Scruton
Subways: #1 to Canal (building is on same block); A, C. or E to Canal; J, N, Q, R, W, Z or #6 to Canal. All these Canal Street stations are within walking distance of the building. Bus: M20 stops at the front door.
Government-issued ID required for entry to building, please. Excellent take-out can be purchased at THE MILL, www.THEMILLTOGO.COM, located next to the building, and brought to the meeting.
Conversations New York (www.conversationsnewyork.com) is a community of volunteers which has promoted more and better conversations among New Yorkers by such activities as quarterly CONVERSATION DAYS, these monthly Conversations, an an on-line calendar featuring 1,000 conversations a year, and the first national symposium on The Power of Conversation held at Columbia University.
To reserve a place, please register both by RSVP to
[masked], and to http://www.meetup.com/Conversations-New-York/