addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Marietta Preppers Networking Group Message Board › When is it time to Bug Out?

When is it time to Bug Out?

A former member
Post #: 2
My wife and I spend much of our time discussing prepping and the various topics that aren't so obvious. We live in Midtown, and one of the most important things we know we will have to consider if SHTF, is when is it time to go. What criteria must be met so that we don't wait too late, or leave unnecessarily early. This pertains more to a doomsday scenario rather than a disaster of some sort. But often, we don't know how bad it is until it's too late. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this from you guys... thanks!
A former member
Post #: 8
There are some informative websites and YouTube videos that may give you some ideas such as:
http://www.youtube.co...­
http://readynutrition...­
http://www.survivalne...­

Unfortunately, living in or very near a large city like Atlanta increases your risks of man-made disasters as opposed to natural disasters. Atlanta, like New York, could easily be a choice target for terrorist activity since it is the southeast hub for transportation, communication, finance, government buildings, etc. Then you have the civil unrest such as protests turning into riots and looting. High density population areas are by nature much more stressful than living in the rural areas. If you live say 30 minutes or more from the center of a major city you'll be that much further ahead of those that live in the city to reach safer locations even further from the city so you'll need to be even more alert to things that start to go wrong around you. People today are becoming more distrustful of the government in general but with the police state becoming a reality today we have a hard time trusting even our local police to protect us and our property.
A former member
... when is it time to go.
This is the big question which is not easy to answer. Generally it's better to be a year too early than a minute too late, but ... I know two people who have already given up good careers to bug out. One started a goat farm, the other built a house in the middle of nowhere that could be heated by a wood stove. The problem is, they did it in the 1970s.
A former member
Post #: 1
Steve, your question is a good one and the reality is that no one knows the right answer for sure. One article said that the city is a potential place for rioting and looting, but has the greatest resources (i.e. When the Iron Curtain fell, Russian people in the cities could wait in food lines to get food...hospitals were still open and even trains ran so 'some' infrastructure was still in place...However people who lived in remote areas without gardens and livestock, starved). Another article I read stated that living in the country side 'away from it all' but having a self-sustaining farm makes you the perfect target for marauding bands of outlaws. When you are alone in the country side, there's not much to protect you...even if you have guns you're completely outnumbered. And if you have an accident (break a leg or incur a deep wound) you have no access to medical. I'm sharing all this because perhaps the 'best' plan is to be flexible and have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D (where perhaps plan A is - Stay where you are...Plan B is - have a backup place to go to (friends/relatives) far away is a 'safe' place according to the situation, Plan C might be to take off with a backpack with multi-day supply to get you through a short difficult time, Plan D could be joining a current Eco-village that's already established. I think if you have multiple plans in place, you'll be as prepared as possible. I hope this helps :)
A former member
Steve - this is a great question and there are some very good answers here from David and Wanda which I'd like to add to. Perhaps the greatest asset a prepper can have PRIOR to any shtf situation is being a member of an off-line prepper community that prepares together via face-to-face skill sharing on preparation projects. When you look at history of post shtf scenarios such as economic collapse, war, large natural disasters and the like, people who form in groups of 20+ people are the ones who survive, while the ones who try and do it solo almost always perish. There are too many laborious tasks to do in this type of scenario which require teamwork from a group. Even looters and marauders with ill intentions typically form into large heavily armed mobs to prey upon the solo minded survivors. Joining or forming and participating in a prepper community group before any shtf scenario has many advantages significantly increasing your survival odds including 1) strategizing together predetermined contingency action plans regarding details of when & how to bug out together as a collective to a predestined safe bug out location with prepositioned survival resources and infrastructure, 2) synergism of skill strengths since the skill weakness of one person is the skill strength of another (ie: medical, crops, defense, energy, etc), 3) sharing community resources like tools & equipment, 4) able to perform all laborious tasks required as a group vs. solo family, 5) easier to provide security to a large group with numbers (more than 20 skilled preppers) especially if/when attacked by a large mob of heavily armed outlaw looters and marauders, etc. Wanda brought up a few really good points in her reply which I also support: 1) established eco-villages to look to as a refuge possibility (though most of them don't believe in having armed security) and 2) highly likely you'll be an easy target to armed marauders as a solo family set up in a rural area with crops and cattle regardless if you have weapons. She also mentioned possible resources which may be available within urban environments while infrastructure is still available. This leads into the concept of FEMA camps which many preppers believe will be available with food, water, medical and supplies and encourage families who are unprepared to stay there in exchange of revoking their freedoms. It's a good research topic to explore further, although the focus of my reply is joining/forming an offline prepper community group prior to any shtf event to gain clarity on how to handle it, including when/how to bug out.