addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Save this Meetup!

This Meetup no longer has an Organizer.
Without an Organizer, it will disappear from our website in 9 day(s).

You can join this Meetup and become the Organizer.

Melbourne Alternative Crafters Message Board › Hey! You! New Kid!!!

Hey! You! New Kid!!!

A former member
Post #: 1,822
Yes, this group is new, so that means everyone... we're all the new kid..

Pipe up, say hello, tell us a little about yourself..

what crafts are you into? What are you not currently into but would love to learn? What events would you like to do?

Speak up, we're all friends here..

I'll start..

I'm Omega, and when it comes to crafts - what I lack in skill I make up for in enthusiasm! I'm into sewing, mostly - I have been doing historical re-enactment for many years so historical costume making has taken the majority of my time.

Things I'd like to learn - I can't knit or crochet. I'd like to change that.

Events? Well.. as the person who's been adding the events to the calendar thus far you can see what I think is fun..

Now your turn! biggrin
A former member
Post #: 3
Hello,
I like sewing, and knitting. I'm not especially good at either, and being a perfectionist means that the going is more than slow. I like making things that have a purpose, usually clothing-type things. Corsets, in particular.
I like the challenge of designing something to meet requirements, I hate cutting pattern pieces, and I hate drafting to real-size, but can't get around being specific enough to enlarge it to work smaller.

I'd like to learn to crochet.

What I'd really like it to be a bit less burdened by what I think I ought to make, and just make things. :)
A former member
Post #: 1
Hay

I am Purple and my craft is Felt although i havent had my hands on fibre for awhile now due to a major lack of space. I also sew, play with string, beads, oil paint, any paint and have combined everything to make some form of textile.

I have worked on a stupid large scale for festivals, which included a 2m high dragon fly with a wing span of 20m, a city of 2 story pyramid projection frames (which we set on fire), a spinning stage type installation and a fair few shade covers to name a few of the more impressive...

i love to create but find it hard to get the space and more and more the time. ideas are never hard to find!

Id love to learn how to sew better and construct clothing out of felt a lot better. Hell id just love to have a go at as much as i can.

Purple
Kwana
kwana
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 5
I'm Kwana. I draw, print, sew, stamp, work with wire and beads and pretty much anything else that catches my fancy. I run my own business designing and creating my own range of hand printed and sewn clothing, accessories and soft toys. I've not been sewing long but I'm learning really quickly. I tend to be attracted to the Steampunk, tribal and burlesque styles... But I like a wide range of aesthetics.

I would like to get into drafting and sewing more complex projects (I'm currently sticking to more simple stuff). I would also like to learn to crochet and work with metal more than just the wire work I do currently.

I really enjoy Stitch and Bitch sessions and Craft Shows and Markets. Anything that gets me inspired and motivated =P
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi guys, I'm Connie. I used to be more of a visual artist than a crafter but had made props and painted backdrops for school productions before. Then I got onto making jewellery (with buttons especially!) and saw a lot of t-shirt surgeries and thought "Hey, that's cool and looks relatively easy!" I got given the cheapest Singer model as a birthday present a few years back and the first thing I made was a reconstructed Harry Potter hoody (with the help of my mum - I'm unashamed! My parents are hip!) which is really awfully made when I look at it now.

I like to dabble in a bit of everything - I'm especially interested in learning to work with leather and metals at the moment. Oooh and resin.
A former member
HeY!
This was a really good idea! Its fascinating to hear people's enthusiasm!
I have always done creative stuff from when I was a kid and our family didn't have enough money to buy all the trendy toys - so we made our own. Including a Macgyver board game (it was the 80's okay!). There was also the fact that stuff I loved just wasn't cool with everyone else, so I ended up making the stuff I really wanted that wasn't available - like old-fashioned adventure radio plays on cassette.
Since then I have tried various things. For a while in high school I went through a drawing phase. I was okay but my skill never matched my aspirations. Then I moved on to knitting and sewing. And resin casting. And screen printing. And recycled craft. I always come back to knitting because it's soothing, tactile and versatile. You can do it in so many sizes, colours, materials, textures and you can knit almost anything in any style.
In between these things I met some great friends who had my nerdy interests and we love finding excuses for making and wearing all kinds of costumes. Occasionally we sold our creations at markets.
I would love to see more and more people having a go at making things from what they have, instead of going out and buying new stuff - everything from their food and transport to the gifts they give and the art they put in their homes. Reduce, reuse and recycle, people! And you know what? It forces you to get pretty creative!
I hope to be selling some of my wearables online soon and am thinking about knitting a rug for my room out of old cassette tapes and plastic packaging...confused
A former member
Post #: 40
Hey all,

I'm Sefronia and the organizer of the Melbourne Anime, Manga and Cosplay Meetup Group. I love to craft but so rarely get the time. Probably the thing I've done the most of is Quilling. I also enjoy sewing, knitting, drawing (Although I suck at it) and lots of other things.

I enjoy making random items. normally with some sort of purpose but I also make random trinkets. I just love the feeling of coming away with something I have created myself. It's much nicer than buying it in a shop.

Anyway, I'll see you all around. :)
A former member
Ohhh I supposed I should introduce myself!

I'm Jess and I have a million ideas going on in my head at a time...I just never have the time to make them! I love to make wearable stuff - brooches, hair explosions, costumes.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at a ...meet up one day!tongue
A former member
Post #: 19
Hi all
I haven't done much craft before but I'd like to get into it.
I've always loved art but things have moved into the digital realm for me; now I paint with pixels. I work in IT building websites. Creating something by hand that's tangible is a nice change :)

I've made some cosplay costumes and I've got another one in mind for later this year.
I'd love to make some alternative toys: mascots from my favourite video games from the 90s, and some creepy things hehe
A former member
Post #: 2
Hello all!
This'll be an *in brief* intro coz I'm desperate to get out into the wide world for a coffee this morning. Day job I work in a university library. By night I make industrial jewelry, write books and draw. I live next to Sherbrooke Forest in the Dandenongs, and I'm due to pop out a kiddy in four days! *eep*
you can see some of my stuff at http://insectus.etsy....­ and some of my bugs at http://doctor-insectu...­ (tho that last one is a dead account)