addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Save this Meetup!

This Meetup no longer has an Organizer.
Without an Organizer, it will disappear from our website in 15 day(s).

You can join this Meetup and become the Organizer.

Melbourne Alternative Crafters Message Board › Hey! You! New Kid!!!

Hey! You! New Kid!!!

A former member
Post #: 2
I love sewing, costuming, footering around, and general craftiness. I run my own business, but that is really an excuse to make the funds that I can then spend on other crafty goodness.

Into alternative quilting at the moment and starting to find the time again to do some costuming or cloth making for work.

:)

Margaret
A former member
Post #: 1
First of all I'd like to say, "Damn, you guys rock!"

Secondly I'd like to say

HI! My name is Brenda and there's a lot to tell about me, but i'll try to keep it brief ;)

I started out sewing 15 years ago, totally self taught and now i'm quite good though I seldom make things anymore. I like knitting and I can do it very well and follow a pattern too, I'm just too slow at it. Then somewhere along the line life took a turn and I started making Jewellery, beaded , strung. And it evolved..... I got involved with a viking re enactment group and it drove me to learn lampwork, i love it, still do it, but due to current circumstances that i shan't mention now, it's been a few months since i melted any glass. I'm also a silversmith, i've got enough equipment at home to get by and have made many things that i'm proud of and have sold. My next step is, finishing off a folio of photos to submit with entrance papers to RMIT tafe for a gold and silversmithing course.

'S about it!
A former member
Post #: 34
I'm 100% 'master of none' when it comes to craft. I grew up with a screwdriver and hammer as toys, spent heaps of time around my mechanic grandpa pulling things apart and making things (still do - he's the best and his garage is a haven of tools and materials...explaining my ideas is sometimes hard, but he's got a live-and-let-live style approch to my 'strange' projects...so he rarely questions why I'm carving life-size bird legs etc).

The only formal training in art I have is my friend's art course I snuck in to while skipping my own course and a community drawing class run by an amazing artist who unfortunately passed away...but that's never stopped me trying anything and everything. Mostly I do woodwork (with mixed media, bones, fabric etc) but a while ago I got an injury and being unable to move much (recovered now...note to self - no more falling off trapeeze swings!) but prone to stir-craziness I took up drawing which I also love. Everything else is just ideas and whatever I can learn to make them real.

I make most things with a dark fairytale, steampunk or Alice in Wonderland hint...(the chicken legs referenced before were for a big birdcage on bird legs)...though to be honest I can't say that's on purpose.

I think my next thing I want to try is book binding...but it changes depending oh what's on my mind!
Olivia D.
user 12085689
Melbourne, AU
Hi guys,

I'm Liv, the Event Director for the Guild of the Golden Owl - a group of creatives from all fields who have very grand ambitions and the tenacity to make them happen.

Our events, particularly 'Arcadiance: The Fantasy Masquerade Ball" (formerly Labyrinth Masquerade) are particularly designed to bring creative people together to build and showcase awesome stuff. Previously we have done Fantasy Art and Craft Competitions, and held Fashion displays featuring fantastic body art by Roslyn Quin, and have had the good fortune to feature AltCrafters' very own fabulous DJ Omega!

PHOTOS:

Labyrinth Masquerade 2008 - http://www.guildofthe...­

Pirates of the Yarribean Cruise - http://www.facebook.c...­ Facebook Group Photos - "Guild of the Golden Owl"

Liv's Portfolio - http://www.guildofthe...­

I would like to learn:

• advanced sculpture and marquette construction techniques
  • book-binding
  • calligraphy
  • wood carving
  • advanced sewing machine use
  • pattern and costume making
  • advanced puppet-building and full-body creature effects suit construction

Looking forward to meeting you all, and seeing all your great and unique works!

Liv.

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello, I notice that no one has posted since the initial flurry but I want to indulge in my New Kid status while I've still got it.

I'm Lina and have very recently discovered that I can actually do many fun things with my hands beyond writing emails. I was introduced to the simplicity of embroidery by the ever enterprising folk of the Melbourne Craft Cartel when they ran their Trashbag Rehab session a couple of years back. I've started a project to create a series of embroidery pieces and am needing some further inspiration on other crafts to try my hand at.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, so soften don't start things for fear of never finishing....hanging with others helps me get over myself and experiment a little.

I'm looking forward to any/all crafty hangouts where I can make a move on my own ideas and hopefully help you out with yours.
A former member
Post #: 7
Hi Lina, welcome! I'm so very jealous that you got to go to Trashbag Rehab. I somehow didn't get to any and when I checked recently I got the impression they've stopped. It sounded like excellent fun.
There's a bit of a plan to start crafternoons, and also some workshops so keep an eye out for new meet ups!
A former member
Hi everyone ♡
My names Jasmine! I love crafts and doing anything creative.
I'm a beginner knitter, I sew some of my own clothes and things (though have never had proper sewing lessons...) and paint/draw a little. I'd love to learn crochet because I love anigurumi and those little patch blankies, I'd love to try making some! I'd also like to learn quilting. If anyone is really good at those two things or at least knows a bit, i'd be so happy and really appreciate your help!

Nice to meet you all ♡(*^ ^*)
A former member
Post #: 24
Hi Jasmine, lovely to meet you too :) Carol has been teaching crochet classes every now and again, so keep an eye out for more of those popping up. I haven't come across any quilters yet though. All the quilters on the site please stand up!
Just want to say welcome, and see you soon!
Laura