addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Metro DC Kirtan Message Board › Dilruba

Dilruba

Irv S.
kokopellime
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
I just started to learn how to play the dilruba, an instrument that was given to us through the Sikhs. Its a bowed instrument that looks like a hybrid of a sitar (the neck) and a sarangi (the sound board/bottom). I've been taking lessons from a great teacher, Michael Wheeler (search for him on YouTube), out in Oregon, via Skype for the past month. Its a perfect instrument for anyone interested in learning Hindustani vocal music and is traditionally used, but not exclusively, in Sikh shabads/kirtan.

I'm curious if anyone else in this group plays or studies the dilruba or its sister instruments, the esraj or taus, and would like to "share notes"?