addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Who are your favorite local speculative writers?

Who are your favorite local speculative writers?

Sarah R.
user 47085992
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 4
And by local, I mean local-ish -- not just the Twin Cities.
Cjad E.
Cjad
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 269
Local-ish for me is mostly writers from this group who have been so kind as to have something out on the market for me to read. :)
Ricky E F.
Ricky_Foos
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 492
Got to say Lois McMaster Bujold, Neil Gaiman and Patricia Wrede.
Sam H.
user 11824033
Saint Paul Park, MN
Post #: 31
If we include "has been local-ish," Steven Brust.
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 151
I'm going to cheat a bit and say John Heimbuch, author of Shakespeare's Land of the Dead and Transdimensional Courier's Union (plus any number of alt-hist songs for Bad September).

Also, Catherine Lundoff.
Sarah O.
saraheolson
Saint Bonifacius, MN
Post #: 66
Mary Robinette Kowal just moved to Chicago, so I'll call her local-ish.

Neil Gaiman is at the top of my list. I met him at Dreamhaven in college and had a total fangirl moment. I'd probably do the same if I ran into him again. SQUEEE! IT'S NEIL F-ING GAIMAIN! OMG OMG OMG! (Ok, I wasn't that bad...but still...a little embarrassing.)

I have a stack of books by local authors (and many others) I haven't read yet. I'll have to push them to the top of the heap.
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 155
And now to flash my hipsterish tendencies at y'all ("Ow! My eyes!"). The mentions of Neil Gaiman make me wonder: at what point is someone no longer a "local artist"? To me, "local artist" implies "artist mostly known to and drawing their fanbase from people in this general locale", and that is very different from "world-renowned author who happens to reside in this area". Sure, we're proud to have such illustrious writers living near us, but I think at some point some of them--Gaiman being a prime example--become so famous that calling them "local authors" becomes disingenuous.
Sam H.
user 11824033
Saint Paul Park, MN
Post #: 33
You're only a hipster if you liked Neil Gaiman before he was cool. :)

More seriously, though, that's an important distinction. When I think about it, "local" always means "produced locally/lives locally" whether or not it's popular. But that's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm right. It just means that this is what I think of when I answer questions like this.
Ricky E F.
Ricky_Foos
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 493
I tuned into Neil and admired his work back when he was first putting out the Graphic Novel, Sandman -- is that early enough? tongue

Eli's point is well taken: For local, generally unknown authors I'm going to say Hilary, Terry and Jaye. wink
Eli E.
Awfly_Wee_Eli
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 158
You're only a hipster if you liked Neil Gaiman before he was cool. :)

More seriously, though, that's an important distinction. When I think about it, "local" always means "produced locally/lives locally" whether or not it's popular. But that's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm right. It just means that this is what I think of when I answer questions like this.
Nope, I'm a relative latecomer to the Gaiman-love. In fact, for years the only thing of his I'd read was Good Omens, which just barely counts.

"Produced locally" is an excellent point. Yes, Gaiman lives locally, and he does a ton of awesome things in and for the area. Still, when he completes his manuscripts, off they zip to HarperCollins in New York. I don't begrudge him that; I should be so lucky to be zipping anything but abject begging to HarperCollins. But for me, that's a factor in his "localness" or lack thereof. If he had the same level of fame and was published by Greywolf or Milkweed, I'd probably still call him local.