addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 317
Welcome, Jeremy! Hope to see you at a future Meetup event.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey all. I'm new to the group, and fairly new to the Twin Cities.

I grew up in the UK, but moved here in June of 06 to get married to my then fiance, now wife Kirsten.

I've wanted to be a writer since I was a kid. As a punishment for various misdemeanors I committed as a child, my father would send me to my room, but he never realised that I was fine with this. It gave me the opportunity for a bit of peaceful reading, or writing without interruption. Whilst in my room, I discovered authors like Frank Herbert, Anne McCaffrey, David Eddings, and many many others. My own writing was influenced by these authors, but over time evolved, as my tastes changed, and I started reading works by Neil Gaiman and Garth Ennis, Anne Rice and others.

By the age of sixteen, I was turning out a twenty page short story a week. I never had any published, and reading some of them now, I can see how immature my writing was at that age, but it was a start.

These days, I'm still churning out short stories, in the hopes that one of them will catch someones eye. Mostly these short stories are horror inspired, but I'm also working on a full length fantasy novel, which I hope to have the first draft of completed by January of 07.

I'm looking forward to getting to know other writers on this board, both published, and aspiring.

Thanks for your time.

Zack. R.
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 7,686
Cool!

Welcome to the group, Zack!

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 37
Hey, Zach!

Welcome to the group.

Mike Blumer
Cjad E.
Cjad
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 68
Welcome Zack! Speaking of getting to know us, I just wanted to mention we have a Meetup this Sunday. It'd be a great opportunity to meet several of us and get a better feel for the group. We're not a high pressure group so no worries if you are uable to attend.
A former member
Post #: 2
It all depends on how badly we get nailed with the snow storms this weekend. If I can make it, I'll be there.
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi -

The computer ate my edited post. Thank God I saved a "RUFF DRAFT".

I write in hopes of falling in love one more time. I'll show you soon enough.

"digs"
Jaye L.
JayeLawrence
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 332
Welcome, digger! What kind of writing do you do?
Hilary Moon M.
Hilary
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 7,706
What Jaye said. Welcome, Digger!

(Hey, has anyone else noticed how many new members joined in the last few days? Is this cool or what?)

Everyone else, take a moment to introduce yourself to us! We'd love to learn more about you.

Hmm
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, my name is Karl and I'm an alco--- sorry, wrong meeting!

I'm an aspiring science fiction / fantasy / speculative fiction writer working on the first draft of a novel (or a short story with a serious case of gigantism). I'm looking for critiques and connections. I would like to get my draft polished and ready for a rejection.

I love to watch Joss Whedon's "Firefly" series, Blade Runner and Minority Report, along with old school cheese like Mystery Science Theater 3000. I recently finished "The Prince of Nothing" trilogy and read a lot of Warhammer 40K paperbacks. I also enjoy reading Honore de Balzac, Norman Mailer, William T. Vollmann (I'm into Volume 2 of "Rising Up and Rising Down" and recently finished "The Royal Family"), and numerous other writers, ranging from the highbrow to the lowbrow and everything in between.

I have not been up to the Twin Cities yet and this looks like a good enough excuse to go.

For my writing, I want to work on characterization, setting the scene, and pacing with a longer work.