addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Message Board MinnSpec -- Minnesota Speculative Fiction Writers Discussion Forum › Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Introduce Yourself, and tell us what you write!

Roy C. B.
user 3023314
Bemidji, MN
Post #: 506
Never too late to reconnect, welcome! laughing
Renae C.
user 47509582
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 3
Thank you. This time I am more on the ball. I clicked to be notified by email of responses. It is amazing how much more coherent I am with a little coffee in me. Granted, I don't know if I was lacking in coffee last time or not, but that is what I have decided to blame it on. LOL

Write on!
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 915
As an alternative to lack of coffee, try alien interference and/or abduction. Works for me, and after just a few uses people are so happy to hear you think lack of coffee might be the real problem that they don't blame you for anything.
Renae C.
user 47509582
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 6
LOL I might try the alien interference excuse, but anyone that knows me, especially the husband, knows that it isn't even worth the effort to speak to me before I have the first cup of coffee. He has been know to actually ask me if I am aware before starting a conversation with me. :)

Have a great day!
Mallaidh Michelle ...
user 11049024
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 3
I thought I'd reintroduce myself. I've been a member for a couple of years now, but other obligations kept me away from the group and meetings. I have time now so I've been able get involved again. I just submitted my first finished story for critique for this weekend. The genre I write is fantasy - historical and urban. The historical aspect kind of took me by surprise, but I enjoy writing it. I consider my first finished piece historical fantasy. And I've started working on another one that seems to fit into the genre. I really don't know where this came from but I'm not complaining. It allows me to research and dig into history, which I really enjoy doing.
Terry F.
TFaust
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 931
The research is fun. I hope the critique is very helpful.
Renae C.
user 47509582
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 13
Nice to meet you. I understand about stories going their own way. Mine do that to me all the time. Congratulations on finishing a book.

Write on!
Mallaidh Michelle ...
user 11049024
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 4
Terry, I agree. I really enjoy researching. Sometimes I get so carried away with it I forget I'm writing a story. I'm anxiously looking forward to the critique. I like getting other people's feedback. It can turn out to be very useful.

Nice to meet you too, Renae. I just started writing again after being away from it for several years. I'm curious to see where it takes me and what direction my stories go. And thank you! I'm pretty happy I got one done. The story is a rewrite and expansion of something I wrote back in 2003. I found it, and a bunch of other old works on a disc in the back of my computer desk. Some of them I've looked at and thought "What was I thinking when I wrote this?" Some I'm keeping and plan to rework them. Although the current one is complete as a short story, with some encouragement, I plan on expanding it into a novel. Which has meant more research. smile
Renae C.
user 47509582
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 14
We sound a bit similar. I am working on a horrific first draft I wrote about five years ago. This is my first true revision of any size. What I am discovering is I still suck at grammar and spelling, but my ability to show verses tell has improved exponentially.

I once tried to write a book that needed a bit of research and caught myself spending hours a day looking up information. The book didn't get very far. That is why I think I work so much in fantasy. I make it up, not research it.

Keep plugging along. I read/heard somewhere that published authors are the ones that didn't give up.

Write on!
andrew
user 66518772
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
I write face-melting sci-fi.

What more to say?

I would love to melt some of your faces with my sci-fi and hope you can give me harsh criticisms that leave me wondering why I'm still alive. lol

-Andrew from Maplewood

Are there any sci-fi/action/horror fans at the St. Paul meetup, or the MPLS for that matter?

More importantly I would like to know if either groups LOVED 'Prometheus'. Then I'll just forget it altogether. :)

Awesome, thanks for having me!