addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Minneapolis/St. Paul Backpackers Meetup Group Message Board › Thru-hiking the SHT in July 2011

Thru-hiking the SHT in July 2011

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi, I'm thinking through the logistics of an SHT thru-hike this summer.
I'm an AT Sobo - class of 2007, so I have experience. However, there is much more infrastructure and guidance for thru-hikers on the AT. I'd love to chat with someone who has done this.
I'd also like to find someone who might be able to get away for three-four weeks in the summer, preferably July, to hike with. I think it would be much easier with two cars as the shuttles only run on weekends and only go so far east. Of course, it would be safer with someone else also.
Thanks - Sheri Ross

A former member
Post #: 65
I've thorugh hiked SHT in 2007 (at the time it was 215 miles long). While I'm not sure about being able to hike with you this summer I am able to help out with food drops and such. I innitally thought the trip would take me 16 days but it turned out to only take me 10 days.

When I did my trip I simply dropped off resuply packages at:

Wolf Ridge Enviormental Learning Center (4 miles round trip from trail)
Lutsen Ski Resort (.5 miles round trip from trailhead)
Naniboujou Lodge (.25 miles round trip from trailhead)

If you have any questions feel free to ask!
Mike
user 12957834
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 1
I am also in the process of planning a Sobo hike of the SHT most likely in 2012 but 2011 isn't out of the question. I've section hiked the southern half of this trail and want to do the whole thing in one trip. I know a lot about this gem and would love to chat about this as well. I have the maps, guidebook, and my fair share of lessons learned on this trail. I would love to hear about your experience on the AT as well.
A former member
Post #: 19
Ironically I was trying to persuade a fellow student during class tonight into thru hiking the SHT with me this summer. I had big plans to do it last summer but my old job wouldn't give me the two weeks off that I needed. Now that I have two jobs with slightly more flexible schedules it is possible. It is either thru hike the SHT or spend a week in Yosemite both of which are on my "Before I Have Kids" list.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for the tips and offers of advice. I will likely be in contact in spring as I begin to solidify my plans. Sheri
A former member
Post #: 5
Please keep me on your list of those to contact. I plan on working odd jobs this summer so hopefully i will be able to get away with escaping for a month or so :)
A former member
Post #: 21
How do you guys keep clean on longer hikes? Wet wipe shower? Quick dip in a lake? Go off trail for showers? I have never gone on a trip longer than four days so I usually just go swimming and it keeps the stink away but after ten days that might be a different story.
A former member
Post #: 66
The short anwswer, I just get stinky.

That being said I wash my feet and groin every few of days. It's not about keeping yourself smelling clean but keeping yourself healthy and rash free. wink

On longer hikes I'll bring a spare shirt, headrag, and underwear so that I can do laundry on the trail and still have clothing to wear (I'll wash on set while wearing the other). Also I'll use the second shirt to sleep in so that I can keep my bag clean.

Mike
user 12957834
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 2
I agree with Chad. On longer trips you will get stinky.

That being said, there are many ways to keep clean. I try to wash up each night because I sleep so much better when I do. Before I treat my water for the night, I hang my Camelback in a tree and use the full amount to lather up and rinse off. When camp is not near a water source, I will use as little of my treated water to wash up. When hiking the SHT, there are many campgrounds, State Parks, etc that have showers you can score.

I would also suggest Merino wool to help keep the smell at bay. Boxers, socks, shirt, and base layer have all worked really well for me.
A former member
Post #: 68
Just make sure you're a couple hundred feet away from a water source before you wash up.