addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Twin Cities Roleplaying Association Message Board TCRA Main Forum › Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green

Call of Cthulhu or Delta Green

Jonathan
Vernacularshift
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 13
Hello all,

I'm trying to gauge interest in either a 1990s or 1920s struggle against the Cthulhu Mythos. I've been developing a story for a little while that I'd like to run through. No experience needed.
Troy S.
SkullThrone
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 25
I've done my share of 1920's Cthulhu...given the choice I'd rather do a 1990's version, the couple modern ones that I've done have been great...I'm sure history buffs love the 1920's but for me its too distracting.
Jonathan
Vernacularshift
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 14
I've only really played the 1920s version, but after a couple months of intense X-Files viewing and then devouring the Delta Green supplement, I'd be very interested in running the 90s version. The 20s version is appealing for the weird historical vibe, but I definitely see how the setting could be a big stumbling block for some people. Sometimes I wonder if even the 90s might be a bit too far back for most modern gamers.

Would pushing things into the 2010s be going too far?
Adam
Z1pp0
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 47
I'd love to see a modern treatment on cthulhu lore! I think that the majority of the differences between the 90's and now would be the portability of technology. Which can be very important, since the biggest weapon against cthulhu has always been men of science. Still, the rarity of digital information on such ancient texts would make such advances somewhat less useful. There's also the ambiguity of online information to consider. You could search online for almost anything, and find 20 different "factual" accounts of it, all contradictory.

I guess in the end, it could enhance the feel of fighting an unknowable evil. If you found the info electronically, you don't know for sure that it came out of a 4,000 year old psychotic bible from beyond the stars.
Jonathan
Vernacularshift
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 15
Sorry for disappearing for a while there. I forgot to mention a vacation I was taking.

Back now, and I'm happy to see even more love for the 1990s.
Dan
user 11839745
Hopkins, MN
Post #: 18
I'd love to see a modern treatment on cthulhu lore! I think that the majority of the differences between the 90's and now would be the portability of technology. Which can be very important, since the biggest weapon against cthulhu has always been men of science. Still, the rarity of digital information on such ancient texts would make such advances somewhat less useful. There's also the ambiguity of online information to consider. You could search online for almost anything, and find 20 different "factual" accounts of it, all contradictory.

I guess in the end, it could enhance the feel of fighting an unknowable evil. If you found the info electronically, you don't know for sure that it came out of a 4,000 year old psychotic bible from beyond the stars.

I agree that it would be pretty easy to make digital Mythos basically unavailable. Just transcribing the a Mythos Tome into a website should be enough to make the owner of the site fairly nutty. Nevermind the fact that the internet is the home of all things fake.

I haven't read Delta Green, but I have a simple understanding of the setting after doing a little research for a campaign I was thinking about running. In my opinion the most difficult part of playing Delta Green in modern times is conveying the feeling helplessness that develops out of knowing there is no one coming to help. For example, if you are part of a government agency and good ol' Cthulhu rises from R'Lyeh it would be too easy to just pull out the satellite phone and call down a nuclear strike. Later the government claims it was doing underwater nuclear testing or blames the blast on some terrorist group.

If I were to run a Delta Green type campaign I would make the PCs part of a government splinter organization that works in small cells. There could be a "Charlie" type NPC who notifies the PCs of missions but beyond that is unavailable. The small, autonomous cell idea should convey a feeling that the group is the worlds last line of defense against the Mythos.

Off the top of my head "Charlie" could be someone highly placed in the FBI, military, homeland security, etc. Maybe he can only contact you at specific times in order to maintain secrecy. Actually, that could lead to a fun couple of episodes where Charlie disappears and the PCs need to investigate him in order to find out where he went and why he hasn't contacted them.

You know what, if you don't use this I think I will! biggrin
Mike
user 36854492
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Are you still looking for players? I'd love to play Cthulhu. I really love the 1920's setting and find it much more intriguing (and challenging) than 1990's. I mean, running from the undead only to find yourself having to crank start your vehicle is much more of a rush. =p

Let me know if you'd like another player. smile
Jonathan
Vernacularshift
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 16
Guys!

I'm terrible at regularly coming here. Please email me at JonECarnes@gmail.com if you're interested in getting things off the ground.

-Jon