addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › New location for Gamers

New location for Gamers

Sam
user 6177929
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 35
I'm overjoyed by the positive response we've gotten from Godless Gamers. Everyone has come with great attitudes and it's always a pleasure to attend.

HOWEVER -

Java Train may not be the optimal location. Things to consider:

1. Hours.
They close at 9. Some of us like the night life, and would prefer another hour or two of availability if games are going long (or going well!)

2. Accessibility.
Though the main restaurant is accessible, the rooms in the basement are decidedly not so.

3. Tables.
We have had to annex an additional room, as the party room now only has the smaller round tables available. This may cause a problem when there are groups using this room.

So I would like to get some opinions and arrange to meet and game at other locations. Let's find out their hours, their accommodations for groups, their tolerance for *ahem* exuberance, their menus, and see if we can find a better home.

There were suggestions from last time, and I shamefully did not get any written down; not even the relatively close one in the HarMar area. So please, if anyone has any ideas, let's give them a try ASAP! I am up for most any evening (hooray burning vacation days) and welcome the opportunity to try new sites before our next official game night.
Pete
user 37316462
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
The Source just recently moved closer to Har Mar (in the old Hollywood Video location). The gaming space is HUGE now, which was one of the issues I've seen people have in the past (too cramped). I spend time there gaming for tournament events (I'm a Magic the Gathering player), but I can't really vouch for if they'd be open to Godless Gamers being there. Of course, Atheists are a fairly common sight in the "grumpy gaming" community. So who knows? Wouldn't hurt to ask, esp now that they have space!
Robin R.
user 8986723
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Yeah, the Source would be a terrific place for us!

I'd love to go to these "Godless Gamers" meet-ups, but weekday evenings just don't work for me. How about a weekend, sometime?
Sam
user 6177929
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 36
Of course! I will stop by the Source - since I'm due for some new games anyway - and see if they could provide us with some space. Additionally, I'll see if such space is available on weekends; is anyone busy on Sunday mornings? ;)

I think a weekend afternoon of games with a break for lunch sounds fantastic, let's make it happen.
Sam
user 6177929
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 37
I have yet to hear back from the organizer at Source - what I know now is that Thursdays are the best weeknights for finding available tables. I've asked about availability and hopefully we will hear; they definitely have the space, though they close at 9 (we are hoping for at least 10 with a new site). As weekends go, the best time according to the gentleman I spoke to is Saturday evening (wonder why). I will ask when the organizer contacts me if there is a weekend afternoon we could get 4 tables going (they are enormous).
Sam
user 6177929
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 38
I've heard from the organizer - we are good for the 4th Thursday, so we'll try this space for a while. Weekends are a mixed bag, sometimes they are packed for special events (such as a new release) but generally there is some space available. Sundays are definitely better than Saturdays. Let's see who would be up for a Sunday afternoon, get some numbers and reserve a space.
Pete
user 37316462
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
I can vouch that Saturdays are crazy busy... many CCG players have their natonal events booked on the weekend and The Source draws a large number of people when that happens. This weekend is both Pokemon and Magic prerelease events, and both are sold out. Should be 150+ people running around back there. Needless to say, it's not every weekend, but gives you an idea what to expect if you planned on Saturday Events. Sundays would work better though, as many of those events rarely extend two days (though it happens).

Also, when you do stuff on weekends you risk conflicting with Minneapolis Board Game Marathon which is every second weekend of the month. It's usually Fri-Sun and might force people to chose between both events.
Pete
user 37316462
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 3
Wanted to let the northern gamers know that there is a new place open in White Bear Lake that serves their own food. I haven't tasted it, but visited to check the space out. Really nice guys and a small but nice selection of games. Seems like the perfect location for this group providing they don't mind traveling more north than they already are for The Source or Java Train.

Your Mom's Basement
http://yourmomsbaseme...­
1011 Meadowlands Drive
White Bear Lake, MN 55127