addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Book clubs that don't necessarily focus on Atheism?

Book clubs that don't necessarily focus on Atheism?

Todd P.
user 37049662
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
Hi.

I'm new here and I was wondering if there are any book clubs that don't necessarily focus on reading / discussing books that are atheist driven? Don't get me wrong, I am an atheist and am currently reading The End of Faith by Sam Harris but I also enjoy reading lots of fiction and was looking to possibly join a book club that might also delve into fiction / literature.

Thanks.
Jack C.
user 3043821
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 55
Of the three book clubs we currently have (Maple Grove, Burnsville and Little Canada), you'll often find selections that are not about atheism. Speaking for the Little Canada group, which I know best, we most often read popular nonfiction on the sciences. Two fiction selections come to mind in the last couple of years: a Mark Twain anthology and the novella City of Truth by James Morrow.

If you'd like a book club devoted to fiction, how about starting one? All it takes is a venue (a coffee shop with a meeting room, for instance), a willingness to make reservations and to introduce yourself to the other attendees. I'll be glad to help--just let me know when and where would work for you. No matter what your tastes, you're bound to find a group of people among our 1,028 members who are interested.

Thanks,

Jack C.
Todd P.
user 37049662
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 2
Thanks for the insight Jack. I think that perhaps I might be interested in starting my own book club on here. Just have to figure out some of the logistics. Since you are an organizer, I'm hoping that I can bounce some ideas off of you before I get the book club started.

Anyway, thanks again.
Todd
Rhonda
user 12952364
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 11
If you plan it, they will come! With over 1,000 members, there are bound to be others with similar interests. Best wishes!

Rhonda
Jordan Lane P.
hewhocutsdown
Lakeville, MN
Post #: 1
I'm always game for a good reading group, fiction or non-fiction. I'd also be open to leading a group on Lucretius' De Rerum Natura sometime next year, or perhaps a fiction one as well; Roberto Bolano's The Savage Detectives, perhaps?