addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Share your ideas for new events

Share your ideas for new events

Jack C.
user 3043821
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 8
It's great to see so many new members of the Minnesota Atheists Meetup, but too bad that so few have attended an event. So how about sharing what kind of event you're looking for, with a suggested time and general location where you'd like to meet? Do you want discussion groups, book clubs, singles nights, movie outings, or something else? Let us know--particularly if you've never attended a Meetup.
A former member
Post #: 20
I think we could possibly meet at the mall of America go to a restaurant and movie and invite friends or family along and discuss our beliefs or lack of and get to know each other better. And since it's getting colder out that would be an excuse to get out of the house and meet new and interesting people.
August B.
augustberkshire
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 15
We used to hold Reel and a Meal at the Mall of America on a Sunday afternoon, with the movie first and a visit to the food court afterwards. Attendance was great at first but then dwindled and the event was canceled.

Part of the problem was that the MOA had mainstream movies that some people had already attended. That's why, when it was revived by George Kane, he chose "art house" movies at the Uptown/Lagoon/Edina Theaters. However, the current setup doesn't leave much time for discussion.

I agree that a weekend afternoon at the MOA could be more inviting to a lot of people. We could try it once and see. Maybe there's a restaurant there that could give us a private room, especially at a time they're not crowded. Maybe a movie at 1, 2, or 3 p.m. and dinner at 3, 4, or 5 p.m.
A former member
Post #: 5
Another Reel and a Meal would be good other than the"art house" movies, but how about bringing back Game Night? That's one of the things I was looking forward to when I was going through all of the previous newsletters that I would attend.
A former member
Post #: 1
Um, what about a plain old fashioned party? with music, food, liquor, dance--that sorta thing? this ain't rocket science (smile)

A former member
Post #: 6
Um, what about a plain old fashioned party? with music, food, liquor, dance--that sorta thing? this ain't rocket science (smile)

I'm all for that, too.
MNA doesn't celebrate birthdays, etc., let alone a party just being a party.
A former member
Post #: 5
I'd be interested in a party as well. I find it really hard to talk to people and get to know others, while sitting in the dark watching a movie (smile).
Eric
user 4434475
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 15
I would love to come to an event and meet some non-theist brothers and sisters. Unfortunately I'm so bogged down with life down here in the southeast suburbs that I don't get out much.

I don't suppose I could convince the event decision makers to hold a social function down here. There's a fun bowling alley/nightclub in Apple Valley called "Bogart's Place". We could do some bowling/dancing/darts/pool and have a few cocktails. If we run into a church sponsored bowling team we could challenge them to a match (of wit then bowling).
biggrin

One other interesting note about the area down here. There is an "Adopt a Highway" about two miles from Bogart's Place on 160th St. that is sponsored by "Atheists for Human Rights".
Jack C.
user 3043821
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 9
ANNOUNCING A PARTY!

This will be hosted by MNA member Ron Julien at his heated garage in Minneapolis. There will be music videos on a six-foot screen, dancing and refreshments. Soft drinks provided, and BYOB.

The date is December 28th, the time is 7:00 p.m. until whenever, the address is 3635 North 4th Street, Minneapolis, 55412. It's near Highway I-94 and Dowling Ave. North in North Minneapolis.

Hope to see you there.