addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Minnesota Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Blinded by religion

Blinded by religion

A former member
Post #: 24
Being a fossil collector and knowing the age of the earth and thanks to paleontologists for all the wonderful fossils found and still being found I sometimes get excited about a new fossil I have collected. So I took my new trilobite to work because of the fine detail this one has and showed it to my fellow workers and hears the response to most of people there. One lady said how old is that 200 years old? When I told her it was around 300 million years she looked at me like I was off my rocker. Of course she was the one I remember who believed that moses in the bible was real and lived 900 plus years. Another response was that's what they want you to believe I think he was talking about those evil scientists who were lying about the age of the planet which according to him is only 10,000 years old. Another response was is that a beetle and another was looks like a piece of turd and the best of them all I didn't learn that in catholic school. So from what I have heard so far is pretty bleak from Americans who are mostly sucked in by religion. So in posting this what kind of responses do you get from family and friends when you talk about the fossils and the age of the earth etc?
A former member
Post #: 4
I don't know anyone, including Christians, as deluded as what you're describing. Two hundred years old? That's bugnuttery on a scale I've never encountered. And if she really thought Moses lived to be 900, she doesn't know the Bible either. The Bible has Moses' life divided into fairly neat thirds of 40 years each, for a total of around 120 years. It's still ridiculous and doesn't make it any more likely that Moses was an actual historical person, but at least it's true to her own source material.

If I were going to counter such ignorance in as gentle a way as I can think of, I might say something like, "If these fossils are that young, I wonder why it is that no modern animals are ever found with them." A fossilized rabbit in the Cambrian would be tough for Evil Scientists(TM) to explain. But we never, ever find something like that. What could the explanation be?

Hmm. Let's think.
slave to r.
slave_to_reason
Saint Paul, MN
Post #: 34
Treat them like they are crazy. Ask "You don't REALLY believe that do you?" Don't even act like their claims are worth discussing. As though it's as if they are retarded and it's pointless to try. Reason won't work.