NOTE: Session begins at 7:00pm, please arrive 15 mins early for some sushi rolls!
For episode #20, we'll be showcasing the Green P app, the only parking app designed in collaboration with the Toronto Parking Authority. The app is developed by Stephen Megitt and Matt Hryhorsky and the rest of the team at Filament, a digital creative agency in Toronto.
As the agency's first app designed for iOS, Green P allows users to easily uncover the locations of Green P carparks all over Toronto, relevant to their locations or destinations. Results can also be filtered based on price or distance. In addition, the app allows users to set up a timer that times foot-travel from car to the destination and notifies the user when they should start walking back to avoid an infraction.
The app launched in April of 2011 and in the past year alone, it has received over 27,000 downloads, with an average of about 73 downloads a day. It has reached the top 20 of the Navigation Category and been featured in the 'new and noteworthy' and 'top free app' sections of the iTunes store.
In this session, we'll learn more about:
* Design elements and process
* Why the iPhone platform was chosen
* The challenges and opportunities with mobile apps in the public services sector
* Working with the Apple App Store
* Considerations relating to user experience
* App statistics & measurement.
About Green P App:
Background on our Case Study Series:
The presenting team will lead the discussion by sharing their experiences in mobile. The rest of us give feedback, ask questions and share lessons. Our general rules for peer discussion still apply: no props, no podiums and no pitches.
Background for new attendees:
Mobile Startups TO is a monthly, cross-town meetup to discuss applications and implications of mobile technologies and strategies. Our meetings are best suited for (but not limited to):
* Mobile business founders
* Designers and creative directors
* Marketing professionals
* Independent and professional mobile app developers
* Anyone with an interest in helping to build the mobile revolution
* $5 fee goes towards securing your spot and food/non-alcoholic drinks