addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Montana Programmers Message Board Montana Programmers Discussion Forum › Programming Class (Bozeman)

Programming Class (Bozeman)

A former member
Post #: 5
A few people have asked me "how do I learn to program?". Well I love writing code and like teaching so I thought see if there was enough interest do put together some kind of class. I know everyone in the group likely knows how to code, but I thought you might also know people who are interested in learning. I'm thinking I'd need 10-20 people to make it worthwhile. The class would be aimed at adults or highschool juniors / seniors that know how to use a computer and are interested in learning how to code.

Personally I'd like to try a 6hr or so intensive class on a Saturday and then see what people want from there, but would consider other formats too.

If you are interested or know someone who is, drop me an email: jordan@noionlabs.com preferably with "Programming Class" in the subject line, if there is enough interest then I'll find a place we can have the class and email out a date and time.
Rob L.
roblund
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 21
Rob Irizarry is working on something similar. I'm going to have him chime in here and maybe you two can collaborate.
A former member
Post #: 8
Many people have expressed interest, so the class is on!

The announcement is here

or

Introduction to Programming Class

What
An intensive introduction to programming class, for those who can code, or who
want to be able to. If you have a cool idea that you would like to build, if you
manage or hire programmers, or have noticed how we are surrounded by computers
and would like them to do your biding, then this is the class for you. There
will be hands on coding, big ideas, computer science history, and modern
techniques.

When
Saturday December 1st from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. With a 45 minute break for lunch.

Where
Montana State University Bozeman Engineering and Physical Sciences building room

Cost
Its free, but would regularly be about $100. The class is still in an
experimental phase, I'm not done tuning it yet. Signup is first come first
served, and I cap class size at 20, so sign up fast.

Bring
- Computers are available, but feel free to bring your own.
- Lunch is on your own.
- Be ready to learn fast!

Instructor
I (Jordan Schatz) am an entrepreneur, owner of and lead engineer at Noionλabs
LLC. We build cool stuff: web apps, mobile apps, and websites for companies
small and large. I also teach people how to build their own cool stuff.

goo.gl/ueJe8 or
noionlabs.com/pages/class-signup
Rob L.
roblund
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 24
What language did you go with? Have you had many high schoolers sign up?
A former member
Post #: 11
I'll use a dialect of lisp called racket some notes on why are here: https://noionlabs.com/class/faq.html#what-language­ I also just wrote this to someone who was interested, and I think it it a good explanation:

> I am curious if you personally feel that spending the day working
> with and building some basic level of programing with Lisp might
> carry over to improve my studies or comprehension on the other
> languages I will be working with?

A very very emphatic yes. Experiencing lisp is definitely worth the time, it has
a reputation for dramatically changing how you think about programming even if
you never use it. But while the class will use racket, it wont be about
racket. Lisp has a very easy syntax, everything is a function (everything, even
conditionals etc), everything is surrounded by parentheses, the function you
want to call goes right after the opening parenthesis. Now you know lisp. Now we
can get onto learning how to program: types, design principals, OOP, mutation,
testing, performance, lambda, scope etc.

So far I have 4 HS students. The class didn't fill up quite as fast as I thought, so there is still room if anyone is interested. I should be on IRC (#mtprogrammers) most of the morning if anyone has questions
Brad
user 9152984
Bozeman, MT
Post #: 8
Everything is a function and it is in its basics easy: LISP sounds like JavaScript -- which is "my language" and the most ubiquitous, most prevalent, most used, and likely and arguably the most important programing language in the world. And, javaScript makes virtually all the dynamic things that run on web pages (and it can do anything else that can make anything else happen on web pages -- though some other things can do some of this as well, and where security is needed).