TAKE NOTE: THIS EVENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED to next Wednesday, 8/14. I'll update next Wednesday's "Green Jam" to reflect this...
----- ----- ----- ----- -----
The weather is great, it never rains on the Green on Wednesday evenings, and the public is demanding MORE UKULELE, so we’re takin’ things outside. Get ready for something that will be a first for the Morristown Uke Jam, which if it goes as hoped could become an annual event, our August Ukulele Showcase! I’ll try to describe how this will differ from our typical “1st Wednesday of the month” monthly meetups.
FOR OUR NORMAL MONTHLY MEETUPS THE CENTERPIECE OF THE EVENT IS A PLAYALONG TO A THEMED SONGBOOK...
For this meetup the centerpiece will be YOU, and the only theme will be what YOU want to bring! Here are more details than you want:
• NO, this isn’t for playalongs; keep reading, there’ll be time for group playing before and after. This central part is for YOU to present something to US.
• NO, of course you don’t need to do this alone! Create a duo, a trio or a septet if you like.
• YES, we’ll actually have a mike. 2 mikes actually, in case you have a partner or a whole group you want to have sing with you. 3 mikes if Mike Sagurton comes.
• YES, you can plug in your instrument if you like. We’ll have amps available for both mikes and instruments.
• NO, there’s no group theme. We’d like you to bring a song or songs that are special to YOU, regardless of the style or theme.
• NO, this isn’t limited to ukuleles! Each “act” should at least have one ukulele front and center, but if you want to add a bass, percussion, guitar or pipe organ, this is the Green. We know how to play well with others.
• YES, of course you’re good enough to do this. If you think you’re not, and you’re worried, just realize we’re far more interested in having fun than in being impressed. Play a song you can play well, one that you think we’ll like. It’s FINE if it’s a very simple beginner song. We’ll love it. I promise.
NOT A RULE BUT A VERY STRONG ENCOURAGEMENT:
• If at all possible, try to memorize your songs so you can play them without needing to reference a song sheet. Believe me, it’s SO MUCH MORE FUN to perform a song this way, and it’s more fun to watch someone too.
FOR OUR NORMAL MONTHLY MEETUPS WE JAM BEFORE AND AFTER THE CENTRAL PLAYALONG…
And we’ll do that on this night too. The only difference will be:
• Let’s make all the before/after jam songs playalongs. (The performance pieces will be the central ones.)
• Yes, please bring extra song sheets for the songs you want to lead.
• If you have a pad or laptop you access music from please bring those as well; but realize we might have accessibility issues since we’ll be on the Green. (We can use hotspots instead of wifi, but it’s a less guaranteed technology than paper.)
• There isn’t a theme for the performances (other than YOU), and there won’t be one for the playalongs either, except for this: There are some songs I think of as “ultimate jam songs”. I call them this because the entire song is a single repeating progression of chords. If you tell us that chord progression, we can follow along playing the entire song without song sheets! So for this event, the BONUS POINTS will be earned by bringing a jam song that DOESN’T NEED SONG SHEETS. (Triple bonus points if you’ve memorized all the lyrics, so YOU don’t need a song sheet either.)
And… that’s it. NO, of course you don’t need to perform for us. But if you have any interest at all, any dream of singing or playing for others, we promise to be the most generous and encouraging open mike crowd ever. Really. Promise. So pick a couple of songs, practice up, ask someone to join with you if you want, and then COME OUT AND PLAY!!!