addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Colorado independent Game Developers Association (CiGDA) Message Board CiGDA- General Discussion Forum › Anyone have feedback on Unity game engine?

Anyone have feedback on Unity game engine?

Jimmy L.
user 61840092
Fort Collins, CO
Post #: 2
Hello folks,
It was great meeting the folks at the October meeting, well besides my friends car being broken into.

But my question is, I am planning on a game or two before I make an MMO, and plan on using Unity now instead of Hero Engine due to its community development and the engine's flexibility.

Have any of you used Unity, what did you think, any problems you ran into, what did you like about it?

Thanks for any feedback,
Jimmy
A former member
Post #: 29
Hi Jimmy,
I'm new to Unity. I like it so far. It can be programmed via java or C++, I can import my models from 3ds max with animations. so that's the best part for me.
Megan F.
shalinor
Broomfield, CO
Post #: 8
I've used the engine for multiple projects, and have many friends that have done the same. I would say it's the best option out there at the moment, in terms of multi-platform capable engines with workflows designed for small teams. It's absolutely the best option for mobile development.

UDK is the only thing that comes close to matching it, but I hit many limitations in its use. It is very clearly a codebase designed for FPSes, and has you jumping through very silly hoops (ie. stuff like implementing all inventory items as "weapons") if you want to make a different sort of game.
Alex N.
user 68040842
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
Hey Jimmy.

Im working with a team now using Unity
http://www.indiedb.co...­

It seems to be a fine engine, I cant tell you much about writing code for it since im not a coder, but its really easy to get your models and animations imported.
Unity also has a great community and plenty of tutorials.
Jimmy L.
user 61840092
Fort Collins, CO
Post #: 3
thanks folks, I am now working with it, and I am very impressed.
appreciate the feedback
Jimmy

i will keep you guys updated on our project
Jim C.
jvcraft87
Berthoud, CO
Post #: 1
Have you upgraded or downloaded the Beta for Unity 4? Still has a few bugs to get ironed out, it is a release candidate, but improvements in the animation sector (sharing animations between skeletons) is probably one of the bigger things they implemented.
Jimmy L.
user 61840092
Fort Collins, CO
Post #: 4
Actually I am just now installing. I been going through a bunch of Youtube tutorials which are helping alot.
Thanks