CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED to 10 sailors: 5 will be invited from NEO Hikers and 5 from Portage Lakes Sailing. PLEASE READ ALL THE PRE-REQUISITES BEFORE YOU SIGN UP!
COACHES WANTED: If you are an experienced sailor and want to help "coach" during this class please do not sign up.. just message me below and I will sign you up.
Dear sailing enthusiasts,
Have you ever wanted to learn to sail and the sport of inland lake sailboat racing? Here is your chance! Learning to sail is a great adventure.. learning to race sailboats takes one’s sailing skills to a bit of a higher level and adds the thrill of a contest to the sport!
Who: Whether you are a complete novice, beginner or experienced sailor, this meetup is intended to introduce and teach the sport of sailing and inland lake sailboat racing - as it exists at the Portage Lakes Yacht Club (PLYC) at Turkeyfoot Island Club on beautiful Turkeyfoot Lake, in Southernmost Akron, OH.
1. You must be able to swim 25 yards without a life jacket
2. Bring your own Life Jacket
3. Be willing to participate (you will get wet, bring appropriate clothes, towels)
4. Sign a waiver to participate at your own risk.
Already know how to sail and race? Don't sign up, instead ..contact me directly and let's talk about you coming to help coach participants..330.329.8425!
Cost: $5 donation (optional) - YOU MUST BRING AND WEAR YOUR OWN LIFE JACKET TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS MEETUP - no exceptions!
We will have about 10 Sunfish sailboats to use courtesy of PLYC!
Agenda - All participants will:
1. 2 HR. Ground school - sailing basics, language of sailing, safety, racing
2. Learn to rig your own Sunfish Sailboat
3. Participate in Safety drills - launching, capsizing and righting (you will get wet),
4. Practice Sailing techniques (guided instruction)
5. Sail solo (or with a coach) and participate in a race!
Get together after class (optional)
You will be required to sign a waiver for permission to participate at your own risk!
CANCELLATION POLICY: This class will take place rain or shine, but may be cancelled even at the last minute if the weather is too adverse or risky for safety.. i.e. lightning, too much/not enough wind.. right now the weather forecast looks good, but that may change... sailors like rain.. and wind! IF YOU SIGN UP FOR THIS PLEASE CHECK FOR RESCHEDULING OR CANCELLATION. THE PREFERRED RESCHEDULE DATE WILL BE the next day – Sunday, June 16 at 9:30a!
Sound like fun, yet? Join us for a great day of sailing adventure!
Please post your question or comment or feel free to call/TEXT me after 5p M-F ~ Andy Hawes cell:[masked]