addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 21
After the last meetup, Bob suggested we think about creating a set list of songs to play so that everyone can familiarize themselves with the songs to be played before the meetup. I think this is a good idea.

Creating the set list

What we have been doing so far is creating our set list as we go during the meetup. People would throw out song suggestions and then we would play them. What I suggest we do now is throw out the song suggestions here on the message board and accumulate a set list of songs to play before we arrive at the meetup.

Ground Rules

For a song to be on the set list we need to have a lead (chord/lyric) sheet so that everybody can play/sing along. In the past people have said lets play a certain song (with no lead sheet) that few knew how to play, and most of the group sits around while the few in the know play the song. If you suggest a song please upload a lead sheet and bring extra copies for those who didn't print a copy.

Lets use this thread to discuss songs for the next meetup.

So what does everyone think?
FiL
FiLw
Franklin Park, NJ
Post #: 6
I think it would be nice if everybody suggested two or three songs. That way, everybody gets to play/sing something they want. I'll hold of on my suggestions for now, but I'm determined to get y'all to play an Irish song next time.

- FiL
A former member
Post #: 2
I don't know Fil!! LOL That 6/8 time is a real killer!!! wink
A former member
Post #: 3
Alan, I uploaded some files hoping you can run them through that program. If it doesn't work, I'll try to manually put them in a more user friendly format.
Joanna F.
user 8576183
Fanwood, NJ
Post #: 1
Is it alright if I pick a few songs with chord/lyric sheets on chordie.com? I'll try them out first. I'm thinking about a a couple of Beatles songs. And I can bring some extra copies.
jim
user 8203581
Perth Amboy, NJ
Post #: 19
OK, actually Alan & I did this when we first started the group but, as I remember, only Alan & I submitted songs for the group to do. I agree that this is a good way for us to proceed so, I just went through our song file and I came up with 29 songs I want us to do !! lol, then I got a little tougher on my selection and got it down to 17 !! Of the 17, I suppose we will do many of them, so I picked 3 that either we have not done lately or the group really seems to like. I would like to ask everyone who is going to attend the meeting to pick 2 - 3 songs from our song file. Even if your selection has already been suggested by another member, multiple votes for a song should make it a "group favorite" and possibly have us work on that song or songs a little more. Well, here are my picks: Will you still love me tomorrow (Carol King, but I like Dave Mason's version). Reason to Believe and Melissa. I am looking forward to the 28th. jim
jim
user 8203581
Perth Amboy, NJ
Post #: 20
Is it alright if I pick a few songs with chord/lyric sheets on chordie.com? I'll try them out first. I'm thinking about a a couple of Beatles songs. And I can bring some extra copies.

on the home page, click on file and look at our list of songs already posted. There are several Beatle songs on there already. With that said, if your picks are not listed, then def bring about a dozen copies. I am sure we will want to do them. jim
A former member
Post #: 4

on the home page, click on file and look at our list of songs already posted. There are several Beatle songs on there already. With that said, if your picks are not listed, then def bring about a dozen copies. I am sure we will want to do them. jim

If I'm overstepping my bounds here I do apologize. If the songs were listed on the site BEFORE the meetup, people would have a chance to work on them if need be. I'm relearning the mandolin and would like to bring it but I'm not that good on the fly with it yet. That's why I suggested a set list. smile
jim
user 8203581
Perth Amboy, NJ
Post #: 21

If I'm overstepping my bounds here I do apologize. If the songs were listed on the site BEFORE the meetup, people would have a chance to work on them if need be. I'm relearning the mandolin and would like to bring it but I'm not that good on the fly with it yet. That's why I suggested a set list. smile

Not at all Bob, all input is welcome and appreciated. I hope I was clear, I agree with you, I was just saying that we have built a list of songs (which now includes the songs that you have just posted) and if everyone who is going to attend picks 2 - 3 songs from that group of songs, then we will have a set list of 30 plus songs. That should pretty much fill most of the evening.
That is why in my last post I named the 3 songs that I wanted included in the set list. I encourage everyone to do the same.
Joanna F.
user 8576183
Fanwood, NJ
Post #: 2
I just looked over the set list and it looks great to me, lots of songs I love to sing and play. It must be the full set list, because there are more than 17. It's hard to pick just 3, but ok: Pack up your sorrows, You aint goin nowhere, and I've just seen a face. I can't wait! Joanna