addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NVC Community Events of the SF Bay Area Message Board › Revised Posting Guidelines - your input kindly requested

Revised Posting Guidelines - your input kindly requested

Vicki L.
user 3858687
Group Organizer
Alameda, CA
Hello Compassionate Member of the NVC Community Events of the Bay Area Meetup Group,

We have conducted a visioning and organizational discussion meeting, and have emerged with this suggested revision to our "About Us" description. Thank you to Randall Potter, Marie Altman and Vicki Lapp for reviewing these guidelines and description.  Since this is your meetup group, we would like your input and feedback about this revision.  Please reply by Saturday, February 16 for your input to be considered. After reviewing the feedback, a final decision will be made and the new guidelines will be posted.

If you would like to compare this to the current guidelines, see our meetup page, and "About us..."

http://www.meetup.com...­

About us...

Social events for the purpose of connection

Get together with other NVC people in the SF Bay Area! See what social events other nonviolent communication community members are hosting and join in! Or host your own event and invite members of our community.

These events may be an NVC community party, group dinner, hike, movie followed by discussion, or a group going to a public event. It could involve creative new ideas like an empathy contest or invite your friends to a BayNVC intro night, and the like.

Posting Guidelines

• Any member of the NVC community who has joined this meetup group may post an event.
  • It is understandable that some events may meet social needs, as well as growth needs. When posting an event, please state whether the event's purpose is social, practice, or education. It may be a combination of these.
  • Indicate whether you are charging for the event in the description. If you are posting an event that you are charging people to attend, we request that you make a donation to the meetup dues for this site at the time you post the event. The suggested donation is $10-$15 per post for each event where payment for attending is requested. Donations may be made via Paypal through this meetup site.
  • Events without a date and time may be posted in order to poll members for input about a date/time and location for an event. However, a date and time needs to be determined within 30 days. If you do not a time and location within that time, please remove your event.
  • Please do not post requests of support of others' events, promotion of their businesses or services on their behalf. We are a community with diverse interests and passions and it would be overwhelming to send emails promoting every service, cause, issue, event or project we care about.

Examples of Postings:

• An event you, a member of the NVC community meetup group, are hosting

• An event that you, a member of this NVC community meetup group you would like to invite other folks in the NVC community to join you for, such as a movie, concert, hike, or party.

Tips for Using the Meetup Group:

• After you've posted an event, the organizer will review the post and designate you as the event host. At that time, you will have access to additional features of the meetup group, such as modifying the number of RSVP's and other settings.
  • Did you see a past event that you'd like to see posted again? Any member can email another member through the meetup site, and the email address remains undisclosed. This is one way that you can contact someone who has previously posted an event to encourage them to post another one like it.
  • If you RSVP for an event and then decide not to attend, please change your RSVP to not attending. This meets the need for ease and consideration for the event host.
  • Comments when you RSVP are welcome, but not required. When included, they may meet needs for greater connection.
  • We are self-supporting and have dues of $72 every 6 months to keep this group on the meetup site. Donations are welcome at any time and are greatly appreciated. Donations may be made via Paypal through the meetup site.

The organizing committee for this meetup group may revise the posting guidelines in order to maintain harmony, involvement, and satisfaction of the members of this community. If you have any comments or questions, please contact the organizer.

Thank you for being a part of this compassionate and meaningful community!

Vicki Lapp
Organizer
NVC Community Events of the SF Bay Area
Raines C.
raines
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 251
Thank you, Vicki and your organizing committee for helping us get our needs met through this virtual community, with tools and guidelines that help us ground it in reality.

As organizer of other MeetUps including the nearly-2000-member East Bay Cohousing, I'd recommend clarifying a couple parts:

• Events without a date and time may be posted
    - perhaps active voice here rather than passive. and you're missing a word here:
    If you do not (missing word) a time and location within that time, please remove your event.
  • Pleas­e do not post requests of support of others' events, promotion of their businesses or services on their behalf. We are a community with diverse interests and passions and it would be overwhelming to send emails promoting every service, cause, issue, event or project we care about.
    - mostly I'm curious if this has been an issue so far, or if the concerns are that it will become one down the road. I hadn't noticed it to date, but perhaps I'm not paying enough attention or have my notification settings reduced. I am aware that it has become an issue in other MeetUp groups, and in the ones I run I've had to adjust settings to prevent auto-publishing of events to defeat spammers.
  • After you've posted an event, the organizer will review the post and designate you as the event host. At that time, you will have access to additional features of the meetup group, such as modifying the number of RSVP's and other settings.
    - this may need some additional guidance for members as most haven't been exposed to the event-host side of MeetUp's interface.
  • Did you see a past event that you'd like to see posted again? Any member can email another member through the meetup site, and the email address remains undisclosed.
    - emphasis added to suggest that you clarify: if you send a message to a member using that feature (maybe even refer to it as clicking on the envelope icon on the profile), YOUR address is disclosed, but THEIR address is private until they write back to you. Whoever initiates a message gives up privacy for the email linked to his/her MeetUp account, but the recipient's address is protected until/unless he/she replies -- unless he/she chooses instead to post a public greeting or comment on an event or post on this message board instead. All of those actions preserve your email address privacy.
  • If you RSVP for an event and then decide not to attend, please change your RSVP to not attending. This meets the need for ease and consideration for the event host.
    Now you're speaking my language! ;-) Mostly this flagged for me that including text about what needs of the group and the organizers and members are met by the earlier guidelines and the overall policy would help a lot in providing context and ease in understanding the policy and why now.
  • We are self-supporting and have dues of $72 every 6 months to keep this group on the meetup site.
    - you may want to refer to it as MeetUp fees to avoid confusion with member dues; also, listing it as a monthly amount makes it easier for people to think of it as a budget, in my experience. This also begs the question of the overall budget for the group and how it can be met -- do donations at events, bake sales, auctions, fund drives, or any other revenue sources make a difference?
  • Donations may be made via Paypal through this meetup site.
    Rather than link to the report on contributions, you may find it more effective to link directly to the "Pay Dues" button: http://www.meetup.com...­

• If you have any comments or questions, please contact the organizer.
    - make that a link like contact the organizer pointing to http://www.meetup.com...­

• A former member
    Post #: 2
    hi Vicki and all who helped with this revision

mostly want to say "Thank You"

and also express my delight that what you articulated represents what I was hoping for with this group.

warmly
    Maja