addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NW Wilderness Message Board › 2012 season goals

2012 season goals

Magnus
user 3875541
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 16
It's been a year since the formation of this group and we are at the beginning of the summer hiking season. I want to briefly talk about what I see us having done this past year, where we are now and what I hope to happen this coming year.

It's been a conscious choice to let the group grow organically. One of the common problems with the Meetup groups if they grow beyond capacity is that it becomes almost impossible to get signed up for events. My preference would be to add leaders in the same pace as we add members. For the most part that seems to happen. I've gotten to know quite a few of you and am very pleased with who we are attracting. I feel the same about the leaders. All us leaders have our own personalities and will attract different members for our events but we are all committed to setting the events up for success.

What to expect this coming season: My personal life will be crazy until late August. I'm competing in an Ironman on August 18th and between now and then I'll be training about ten times each week and will have limited time for hikes and none for weekend events. I'll do slightly more strenuous hikes that will complement my training. After the Ironman I plan to offer a slew of climbs all through September, October and November but will probably fit in a few hikes in as well. The rest of the leaders will be scheduling events according to their own schedules, availability and interest. I'd like to add a few more leaders during this season. If you are interested in becoming one, please let me know. Where I feel we are lacking right now is in the areas of rock climbing, kayaking, classes and social events but it would be great if we could offer more hikes as well. My hope is to be able to offer at least one rock climbing trip each month all season and while I love kayaking I don't think I'm the best person to lead those events. We tried a couple of classes but few people signed up. Now we have more members so maybe we can fill the classes. If anyone has ideas of topics, please pipe up. One of the most popular events for most groups is the monthly social. I have absolutely no personal interest in organizing them but if someone is up for it I'd be eternally grateful. I bet 20-30 people would show up by the end of the summer. What's not to like about beer and hike talk?

While we certainly want to keep emphasizing wilderness we'll also keep doing some crazy stuff. The Triple D hike merges crazy and wilderness but for the group that participated it was a nature experience to remember as much as a physical and mental challenge. The 24 hour Defiance will be posted soon. That will be a similar nature/challenge hybrid.

Thanks for being part of the group. I hope you are having fun. For the ones of you that keep showing up to events, please keep coming. For you that have yet to attend your first event, give it a shot. The events are always very friendly and inclusive. Make sure you read the descriptions, though. Some of the events requires a fair amount of stamina and/or skills.

Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 127
Magnus, I think you achieved most , if not all these goals. As far as I am concerned this is a great group. The active leaders are doing some great stuff and the hikers seem more committed to attend events scheduled. Got to hand it to Chacthay (i know I spelled it wrong) and Kathy for being so prolific with their hiking. Dave and Matt for there camp trips. Kieth for Mt Adams and that Olympic trip he did. Nicholas (I can't say enough about him). He grew so much. Sorry about the ones I didn't mention, we all contributed to a pretty awesome year.

Kathy
user 23537721
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 2
Thanks Rick! All of my events have been wonderful and I am so glad that I became an organizer for this group - thanks for letting me in Magnus. It was rough in the beginning, but so rewarding when you are out there and see the great big hug smiles on peoples faces. I have been sick for the last two weeks, but I intend on doing snowshoes every Sat. and Sun. when I get over the crud (since I have no life).