Location visible to members
As the New Year begins, we'll be rolling out several new discussion series, including the "Political Thinkers" series -- it examines the political and ideological viewpoints of prominent public figures, considered to be tremendously influential in their respective ideological camps.
For this discussion, we'll compare and contrast the views of these contemporary individuals -- Milo Yiannopoulos, Ben Shapiro, Linda Sarsour, and Cenk Uygur. We'll explore the following questions:
- Do their views represent the "mainstream" positions held in their respective ideological camps?
- What makes their appeal so controversial?
- Have their views and positions always remained intellectually consistent?
- What are their deep-rooted philosophical basis for their stated views and positions, if any?
- What do their rise to popularity indicate about the current cultural or political climate?
We will then view their positions on key policy matters, including:
- Political Correctness
- Free Speech
- Same-sex marriage
- The role of politics and religion
- The role of money and politics
- The current state of media and politics
- Constitutional interpretation
- Foreign policy and international relations
The following have "labels" have been attributed to these individuals:
- Alt-Right "Apologist"
- Regressive Left
- "Free-Speech" proponent
- Modern Day Media Personality and Provocateur
Whether you agree with these attributes will obviously depend on your political persuasion, which, for many people, tend to automatically trigger any deference, justifications, or outrage on the views expressed by these individuals.
The future "Political Thinkers" series may include a discussion of the following individuals (in alphabetical order): Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Julian Assange, Steve Bannon, Andrew Breibart, Ian Bremmer, David Brooks, William Buckley, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Ann Coulter, Noam Chomsky, James Damore, Richard Dawkins, Dinesh D'Souza, Nigel Farage, Niall Fergurson, David Frum, Nick Gillespie, Glenn Greenwald, Amy Goodman, Jonathan Haidt, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, Alex Jones, Naomi Klein, Charles Murray, Maajid Nawaz, Reinhold Niebuhr, Ron Paul, Jordan Peterson, John Rawls, Joseph Stiglitz, Peter Thiel, Cornell West, and Howard Zinn.
- The list above is not exhaustive, and it will be amended, as the organizers see fit.
- The NYCPF does not endorse or promote any of the views of these individuals.
PLEASE NOTE: the individuals above will NOT be appearing in-person -- these meetings are for DISCUSSION PURPOSES ONLY, in comparing and evaluating their views and ideologies.
Finally, in the next season, we will cover more historical individuals from various historical periods.
*** After the meetup, we'll go to a nearby restaurant for food and / or drinks to continue the discussions -- possibly catch some highlights of the Winter Olympics.