Friday, December 17, 2021
1:00 PM EST
Link visible for attendees
IMPORTANT: In order to participate create a profile on Zoom:
If using Zoom for the first time, please download the app. It's free and only takes a few minutes to complete.
You'll receive a link to the Zoom videoconference one day before the Meetup.
We'll continue discussing the coronavirus pandemic. For the Eighth Session, we'll discuss whether this pandemic is a preview of what's to come if the current projections of climate change turns out to be true.
To that end, below is what we've discovered so far from the pandemic -- and these are the important questions that our society must rigorously examine:
• This pandemic has revealed the sobering reality of the true limits and vulnerabilities of human nature and our technology vs. the mightiness and dangers of the natural world.
• The potential reemergence of "prehistoric" plagues from rapid melting of the Arctic ice. This pandemic has revealed that our immune systems are highly vulnerable to any "novel" pathogens.
• Our society, cultural norms, institutions, infrastructure, and government were grossly unprepared for a global (let alone a nation-wide) crisis.
• Our society, institutions, infrastructure, and government are grossly under-prepared and ill-equipped for an adequate medical response.
• While some experts have been ringing the alarm bell for many years, many of our elected officials and society at large (myself included) were asleep behind the wheel -- some even outright downplayed the dangers. Only after the crisis had unfolded, we then found ourselves asking "how could this have happened? . . . I had no idea it would be this bad."
• FINALLY, assuming that the projections by the overwhelming majority of the experts in the scientific community are true, what can be done? Is it too late? Can the skeptics ever be convinced of the scientific data?
▨ Session 1: Sharing our stories about coping, readiness and survival.
▨ Session 3: COVID-19: From Wuhan to Washington to everywhere
▨ Session 3: TED Talks: Did Bill Gates predict COVID-19 in 2015?
▨ Session 4: The Economic Impacts of the Coronavirus
▨ Session 5: The $2.2 TRILLION stimulus and mega-bailout
▨ Session 6: COVID-19 Lockdowns vs. Our Individual Freedoms
▨ Session 7: "The role of faith, spirituality and humanism during a pandemic." (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/269911744/)
▨ Session 8: "Individualism vs. Utilitarianism vs. Collectivism during a pandemic" (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/269972631/)
▨ Session 9: "How the coronavirus is magnifying the racial and socio-economic disparities." (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/270067753/)
▨ Session 10: "The Future of the U.S.-China Relations in the Covidien Era" (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/270203517/)
▨ Session 11: "Europe's response to COVID-19 and the future of the E.U." (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/270294141/)
▨ Session 12: "India's response to the coronavirus -- for its 1.3 billion people" (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/270358983/)
▨ Session 13: "The 1918 'Spanish Flu' Influenza Pandemic - history, pathology & lessons learned" (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/270450880/)
▨ Session 14: "Big Gov't or Limited Gov't" (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/270504613/)
▨ Session 15: "The New Normal" (https://www.meetup.com/NYC-Politics/events/270914119/)
We'll limit the attendance to ten attendees for each session. Each event will be announced about two to three days beforehand.