Changing careers can be tough and going at it alone makes it all the more difficult, but as my father has always told me, "It takes a village to raise a child". At your meetups, you'll be sure to find a helpful, nurturing environment where you can make all the necessary mistakes to get to where you're going and maybe even make friends along the way. This is a community of kind, empathetic, like-minded, growth-minded, goal-oriented people, and you'll always be welcome as long as you are too.
Please study the above prerequisites for a week or two before applying.
The following is how the meetups will generally be run:
1) When a Programming Meetup group is holding an event
• We will either be meeting up beforehand to practice at a disclosed public location near the event (hopefully)
• Or we will be meeting at the event (link to event will usually be provided. RSVPing through this group will not guarantee you entry to the event).*
* I can't promise that it won't be a bit awkward because you're kind of with us but also at the event, but seeing it through a positive mindset, we can be the people you know at that party where you don't know anyone!
2) When there is no related event:
• We will be meeting up at a disclosed, public location to code & practice together (recommendations welcome)
Upon requesting admission into the group, and thereby upon gaining admission into the group, you agree to the following:
YOU MUST be empathetic, patient, helpful, kind, humble, & willing to put in the work to learn. YOU MUST NOT be ANY type of asshole.
If you're found acting out of line with the group's norms you will be asked to leave.
We work off of four core principles: Kindness, Humility, Empathy, and Hard Work.
If you don't exemplify these traits throughout your interactions within the group, you will be asked to leave.
When First Arriving:
- Look for me, my name is Joe. I'll do my best to introduce you to the group, if there is one, and get you up and running to practice with us or do something on your own with help from the right people. Keywords: do my best, because I'm in the same boat as you lol - Participate in the Slack channel discussions, you have the power to make your own meetups here