addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The NYC Vinyl Meetup Message Board › Record player has lots of static; NEED HELP!

Record player has lots of static; NEED HELP!

Brian
user 11103163
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hey Everyone,

BACKGROUND: I am a casual vinyl record listener/collector. I have an old German made vinyl record player manufactured by "Dual". I LOVE the system, and recently bought 4 new large Bose speakers and a new receiver as my record collection seems to be growing. The system has worked great for about 6 months, until I had to recently bring it in to a mom and pop shop to get repaired since some of the speakers were not getting sound consistently (it would not play out of some of the speakers, but it's not the speakers bc it sounds crystal clear from DVD's and other input sources).

QUESTION: When I got it back, the sound now comes consistently out of all 4 speakers, however the sound comes through with a LOT of static, and it's driving me nuts. I have a setting on my record player that lowers the needle slightly, and raises the needle slightly. I noticed that if I adjust the height of the needle/arm, it sounds better. However unfortunately, the needle/arm needs to rest exactly "in the middle" of these two settings.

Does anyone know how to fix this so that I can adjust the hieght of the arm/needle? I have tried everything that I can think of but canot get it to work.

PLEASE HELP!
J.
user 7664076
New York, NY
Post #: 11
I used to have a Dual tape deck - loved that thing.

So, to clarify - the adjustment on the turntable raises and lowers the entire arm (the Vertical Tracking Angle adjustment), or just the needle (the end of the arm with the cartridge on it)?

Sounds like you could:

1) Check your tracking weight - if the cartridge is tracking too heavily, or worse, too lightly, it can cause a static-ish sound.
2) Check your anti-skating setting. If the anti-skating setting is too much, it can cause static. (Does it sound the same the whole way across the record, or worse towards the end?)
3) Check the alignment of the cartridge in the head shell. If it's got twisted, that can cause noise.
4) Check to make sure the cartridge is still securely affixed to the head shell. They get loose sometimes.
5) Check the connections between the cartridge and the wires that go into the arm.

Changing the weight of the needle in the groove (as it sounds like you're doing) might have an effect on all of the above things (except, I guess, the connection of the arm to the cartridge).

If that all seems ok, then it could be that there is a bad connection in the arm - does your turntable have a head shell that unscrews from the rest of the arm (I had a Thorens that had a terrible connection between the head shell and the rest of the arm. Drove me crazy... Sounded great when it worked, tho')

Finally, the cartridge/cantilever/needle itself might be damaged - do you have a spare you could throw on there?

Good luck!

- J.
Brian
user 11103163
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Hi J,

Great suggestions, thanks so much for your reply.

I will try them out over the weekend.

Got my fingers crossed....