Get excited NY Oyster Lovers! We are going to kick off this summer's line-up of events with an extensive tour of Forty North Oyster Farm in Barnegat Light, NJ, who are featured in the great documentary The Oyster Farmers (https://jettylife.com/pages/the-oyster-farmers-film).
This is a bit farther than other farms that we've toured (about 2 hour drive from NYC), but it'll be a memorable one—I PROMISE you that.
Our exclusive NY Oyster Lovers tour, which is capped to 16 members, includes the following:
- Lots of farm fresh oysters hand-grown by Forty North
- Shucking tutorial, gloves and knives to shuck your own
- 120-minute guided oyster farm tour (from seed to harvest) led by oyster farmer Matt Gregg
- Optional access to the water (you must bring your own protective footwear)
- Post-tour picnic of tasty locally-made sandwiches (water will be provided)
This event is BYOB and we're going to have some case of refreshing COMPLIMENTARY BEER provided by Blue Point Brewing Co. I've specifically requested for Blue Point Mad Seed and Good Reef, which both pair marvelously with oysters.
$80 (inclusive of tax, not gratuity).
If you'd like to purchase extra oysters to take home, Forty North is selling them at $1.50/per oyster. Let me know in advance how many you want to take, and bring your own cooler. They'll supply ice.
HOW TO SIGN UP:
1) First, pay for the $80 ticket per person (select "Send money to friends/family" option). Payment secures your spot. If you don't pay within 24 hours of RSVP'ing, you'll be automatically removed from the attendee list, per our Meetup rules.
- For one ticket: https://paypal.me/inahalfshell/80
- For two tickets: https://paypal.me/inahalfshell/160
- For three tickets: http://paypal.me/inahalfshell/240
- For four tickets: http://paypal.me/inahalfshell/320
2) After you complete the payment, RSVP "YES" to this Meetup.
You will be able to RSVP until Wednesday, July 10th 3PM, or until the tour is completely booked, whichever comes first. If the tour becomes sold out, you can put yourself on the waiting list so that you can be notified if/when a spot opens up due a cancellation.
You will be responsible for getting to Forty North Oyster Farm at the pre-designated time of 3PM SHARP. Plan to arrive early to ensure that you do not arrive late, as that will hold up the rest of the group from having fun. Don't be that person.
Driving: set your GPS to 801 Bayview Avenue, Barnegat Light, NJ 08006. There is plenty of free parking.
If you want to carpool (either have a ride or need a ride), leave a comment on this Meetup!
As far as I can tell, there isn't a great way to take public transportation to Barnegat Light, NJ. There is a bus that goes from NY to Long Beach Island, but there aren't any same-day return trips in the evening. (http://www.lbibus.com/taz10) Or you can make a weekend out of it!
WHAT TO BRING:
Forty North Oyster Farm recommends:
- Protective water shoes or boots (if you plan to get into the water)
- Sunglasses and/or hat
- Waterproof Camera or Phone Case
- Water-friendly attire
- Photo ID
- A warm layer
- Your own cooler (if you want to purchase more oysters... let me know)
We need at least 12 members to sign up for this tour to make it happen. If we cannot reach that number, the tour will be cancelled. So sign up early and tell your friends!!
All guests must be 12 years or older, unless previously authorized.
Transportation to 801 Bayview Avenue, Barnegat Light, NJ 08006 is the responsibility of the guests in attendance.
Gratuity is not included but greatly appreciated!