Located on the edge of the Brooklyn Heights Historic District, 100 Clinton Street is an existing commercial, 2-story glazed brick and terracotta building built in 1923 that was purchased by a local independent k-12 school to convert to an Early Learning Center. Dedicated to providing the 3-6 year-old students with an optimal learning environment, the design integrates Passive House standards with adaptive reuse. While the main facades will remain and be restored, the interior structure will be fully gutted and re-built with the addition of a modest third floor with roof-top play area.
As an integrated exercise in design, the renovated and expanded building will include the interdependent elements of: an envelope designed with Passive House principles, triple glazed windows, and a new mechanical system to include split system heating and AC as well as ERV’s. Perhaps the most challenging aspect is designing and controlling structural thermal breaks where new construction meets the historic and where posts for the rooftop play fence penetrate the thermal envelope. The project walks a fine line of maintaining the historic integrity of the existing facades while renovating and adding to it in a modern and environmentally conscious way.
Hudson Studio Architects
Silman Associates (Structural Engineer)
PA Collins Consulting Engineers (MEP Engineer)
Baukraft Engineering (PH Consultant)