addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Napa Valley Insight Meditation Message Board › Aspirations: Discusion topic for Tues Dec. 3rd

Aspirations: Discusion topic for Tues Dec. 3rd

Forrest H.
user 33431512
Group Organizer
Napa, CA
Dear Sangha,

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday. I just returned last evening from a 10 day silent retreat and feel very blessed to have had the time and the means to practice meditation for such an extended period. It feels good, however, to be back and I’m looking forward to seeing you all on Tuesday.

This week, instead of going over reading material, I would like to have a general discussion about meditation practice and the cultivation of mindfulness. I believe it is helpful to become clear as to why we are meditating in the first place in order to understand the process and deepen our practice. As part of our discussion I would like to take some time to talk about our aspirations for ourselves and what we hope to gain from this process. In the next couple of days, before we meet, see if you would like to reflect on your own aspirations and whether you’d like to share them with the group.

The way I see it, for this practice to bear fruit we need to find ways to persevere during the difficulties we are likely to encounter when we come face to face with our deepest held fears, beliefs and emotions. During such times it is helpful to remember what we aspire to achieve, in order to keep us from giving up. Our aspirations are the longings that will carry us forward on our journey to self-discovery, an evolutionary impulse within us that desires to understand our true nature.

As Sri Chinmoy said, “Aspiration is the endless road that leads eternally towards the ever-transcending Beyond."

With Metta-
Forrest