addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Nashville Backpacker Meetup Message Board › New to backpacking, looking for a mentor

New to backpacking, looking for a mentor

Robin
user 42717242
Clarksville, TN
Post #: 1
Hi. I'm hoping someone will feel sorry for me and be willing to teach me the fundamentals of backpacking. There is only so much you can get from a book. I'm just getting back into day hiking, but my dream/goal has always been backpacking. I work in Clarkesvill m-f, but it's no big del for me to drive into Nashville anytime. I'm a willing student, just need the teacher now.
Rob C.
user 12927516
Nashville, TN
Post #: 9
Many willing teachers in this group. Do you have any gear yet? Might I suggest the meeting tomorrow evening. It's right next door to REI. I'm sure you can show up early or stay after dinner with someone and they can do a quick run through what gear you need and what you don't. (the lighter the better :) )

Then, pick one of our easy-moderate backpacks to practice. There's no substitute for hitting the trail.

Welcome!
Robin
user 42717242
Clarksville, TN
Post #: 2
Sounds good. I have a good small backpack, some decent Layers-boots/ socks /clothes, but no sleeping bag, tent, etc. I lived in Seattle and hiked the area, so I have a basic understanding regarding the "ten essentials" and trail etiquette. And I'm very familiar with REI, so I may not be too much trouble for those willing to help me. See you tomorrow.
Robin
user 42717242
Clarksville, TN
Post #: 3
PS: I could be there by 6 if anyone happens to be available.