addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Nashville Backpacker Meetup Message Board › Suggested backpacking Route in Frozen head state park?

Suggested backpacking Route in Frozen head state park?

Michael P.
user 42727442
Nashville, TN
Post #: 3
Mileage and difficulty level not an issue. Best all round route to take in views ?
Rob C.
user 12927516
Nashville, TN
Post #: 12
I'd recommend Chimney Top trail to the Bird Mtn Trail - taking a detour to visit the firetower at the top. Not a ton of views at Frozen head, but some nice hiking. Chimney top trail has a couple very steep sections.
Kimber B.
user 11573887
Nashville, TN
Post #: 5
Agree with Rob.. that's a good route.. camp at Squire (Square?) Knob.. quiet furtherest from trail head's, but plan your water.. there will be some nice views from Bird Mountain trail if you hike when leaves are down... but tower is the best.
Sheryl H
user 19452051
Nashville, TN
Post #: 1
You can fill up on water at Coffin Springs which is on the way & 1/2 mile to Squire Knob if I recall correctly. However, in the wet season I have found a spring with water on the hillside at Squire Knob.
Michael P.
user 42727442
Nashville, TN
Post #: 4
Thanks for the information. I was looking for new places to backpack and came across Frozen head with 50 miles of trail and 10 back country campsites thought it had a lot of potential but could not find any good intel on the area. I even called the ranger station but did not get very useful information except that water is scarce only one campsite with reliable water. I guess of lack of water and information make this are not the best for backpacking may be best to day hike.
Rob C.
user 12927516
Nashville, TN
Post #: 13
One thing I've learned in my years of backpacking is that rangers (especially the ones on the phone) aren't very helpful. If you want intel about backpacking in the TN area - it is all around you on this site. I've only backpacked Frozen Head once, but I would recommend it!
If you want a trail map: http://tnstateparks.c...­
They also sell a nice topo map at their office for a couple bucks.

Also check out this previous trip (and photos): http://www.meetup.com...­
Sheryl H
user 19452051
Nashville, TN
Post #: 2
I've neber had a problem with finding water, esp in winter & spring. A dry month like Oct might be what the rangers are considering. There is water at Mark Fields, Tubb Springs (year round), Coffin Springs and Squire Knob.
Ira
irasmith
Nashville, TN
Post #: 81
Mileage and difficulty level not an issue. Best all round route to take in views ?
Having done a weekend of day hiking, camping overnight with a group in one of the group campgrounds, and doing a weekend backpack trip in Frozen Head I would suggest the lack of information from standard sources not deter you from exploring this wonderful place. It is true, to find out the real details of this place you do have to look around sites like this one to find the hidden gems.

The backpacking route that I took this past fall with a small group from this Meetup used Spicewood Branch as the starting trail, going to Lookout Tower Trail. We had our lunch at Tub Springs, where we restocked our water supply and visited the tower before heading on. We took Lookout Tower Trail up to the Squire Knob campsite. It is a wonderful campsite. The next day we continued on Lookout Tower Trail until Bird Mountain Trail and took it down to the campgrounds and walked on from there to our cars at the parking lot.

What some might mean about the comments regarding the water sources, or lack thereof, right at the campsite shouldn't be taken as a negative as it is likely made in context to what you would find in the Smoky Mountains at many of their campsites where there is a stream that runs right through camp. Squire Knob doesn't have a stream through it. We stocked up on water at Tub Springs and did just fine. Going the direction we took, shortly before reaching the turn off to get to Squire Knob campsite is the Coffin Spring trail which has a good spring a short ways down the trail.

As long as you go prepared, and are willing to walk a little bit from camp to get your water, you should have no problems. I am anxious to get back on the trails at this location and enjoy the outdoor adventures they hold :)
Michael P.
user 42727442
Nashville, TN
Post #: 5
Thanks everyone for the information, you have inspired me to check out this park. Hopefully real soon.
Blessings to all.