What we're about
Looking to join a group to play some escape games in New York City? This is the place to be!
For the uninitiated: Escape rooms, or escape games, are exciting hour-long adventure games that take place in rooms full of puzzles and mysteries. You and a squad of people work together to find clues and solve said puzzles, to try and escape before time runs out!
New York City has a lot of great escape room locations to try out, many of them in Manhattan. We'll meet up, have some drinks before or after, and have a great time cracking these rooms. Most of our official meetups will be made up of multiple small groups (about 6 to 10 people per group), depending on the size of the venues.
BIG UPDATE #1 (revised on 10/01/18): First of all, thank you to everyone who has joined so far, looking forward to eventually getting together. I'm really encouraged by our group numbers already! Some details on how our events will be organized (please read carefully and thoroughly!):
• Since the group is still getting on its feet, our official meetups will be limited to one day per month for the first few months, until we start having a consistent turn-out. The main goal of our group is to meet new people and make new friendships, so if you and a few others want to get together on other weekends and plan an unofficial meetup, that's great!
• Official meetups will usually be on the last Saturday of every month, to give every member time to plan accordingly for the date. Again, this may just for the initial few meetups, in order to get into the rhythm of things. In the Fall, since a few holidays are at the end of the month, we will make those events earlier in the month to work around the holidays.
• The date, tentative time, and RSVP deposit of official meetups will be posted by the 1st day of every month. I will always do my best to reserve our rooms at least 10 days before the event date, but in the case of an unexpected booking during our timeslot, the time of our meetup will be updated. Sorry in advance if that happens after you've RSVP'd, but you will of course have the right to receive a full refund of whatever you've paid before the time change, if you aren't able to come anymore.
• Please be aware that many escape rooms have limited space, meaning that the number of RSVPs for an event will also be limited. If you choose to RSVP, please be kind and courteous about event deadlines. We want to make sure that everyone who is able and wanting to come to an event has that opportunity, and that others aren't just holding spots.
• When attending an official meetup, please bring your photo I.D. and the info of an emergency contact.
UPDATE (10/01/18): Our group has officially reached over 100 members, congrats!
Please also take a few moments to read the rules about our event costs:
FEES AND CHARGES (effective 09/23/18):
• The RSVP deposit will be 50% of the per-person ticket cost to reserve a room, for an official meetup (events posted by myself, to this Meetup page). For example, if a room costs $30 per person, the RSVP fee for each intending attendee will be $15. We want to keep RSVPs fair and available for all group members, so that limited spots are not being held by flaky individuals. Also, by paying 50% upfront before the event, we believe that will help group members by splitting their ticket cost into 2 easier payments. If you are not able to pay the RSVP deposit by the posted date, then your RSVP will be removed and made open for other members. You may RSVP again if spots are still open, but please be aware that the full ticket cost (the RSVP deposit plus the remaining cost) will be due, in order to attend the event. (Updated as of 09/23/18. Please screenshot this section for future reference, in case of questions, concerns, or disputes.)
• Need to cancel a RSVP? No problem! Attendees will be entitled to a full refund of their RSVP fee if cancelled at least one week (7 days or more) before the date of an official meetup. Since I will be in charge of booking the full price of reserving rooms in advance, I'll need to be sure that as much of the costs as possible are matched by our group members. (Posted as of 08/13/18. Please screenshot this section for future reference, in case of questions, concerns, or disputes.)
• Attendees must pay the remaining balance of their ticket cost (all other charges minus RSVP fee) by the day of an official meetup, by the beginning of the event start time. For example, if an official meetup is on a Saturday at 6pm, said amount should be sent to me by 6pm on that day. (Posted as of 08/13/18. Please screenshot this section for future reference, in case of questions, concerns, or disputes.)
• If an attendee have paid their full ticket cost (RSVP deposit plus remaining balance), but needs to make a last-minute cancellation (6 days or less) before an official meetup, they will be entitled to a full refund of the ticket cost minus the RSVP fee. To received said refund, please notify me by the day of an official meetup, by the beginning of the event start time. After an official meetup has begun, no refunds will be given for last-minute cancellations. (Posted as of 08/13/18. Please screenshot this section for future reference, in case of questions, concerns, or disputes.)
• If an attendee cancels their RSVP during the week of (6 days or less before) an official meetup, I will post a discussion topic to let everyone know how many "Last-Minute Spots" (LMS) are now available. LMS will be discounted, only costing the normal RSVP deposit (50% of total per-person ticket cost), but no additional charges. LMS fees will be due by the day of an official meetup, by the beginning of the event start time. If your RSVP was cancelled, either by yourself or because your RSVP deposit was not sent by the due date, you will unfortunately not qualify for a LMS discount (Updated as of 09/23/18. Please screenshot this section for future reference, in case of questions, concerns, or disputes.)
• If you were on the Waitlist for an event, and a RSVP spot opens 6 days or less before an official meetup, your RSVP will qualify for the LMS discount. (Updated as of 09/23/18. Please screenshot this section for future reference, in case of questions, concerns, or disputes.)
• All fees and charges should be sent to my Venmo account: @Jonathan-Apana or my Paypal account: https://paypal.me/jonapana . When you are transferring money, please include the date, time, and description of your payment (e.g. "10/27/18, 5pm meetup, RSVP fee"). For your own personal records, please take a screenshot of all official transactions (payments and refunds for official meetups) made. This includes any texts or emails about official transactions. We'd like to protect everyone involved in the making of our great events!
• In the event of an official meetup cancellation, all attendees will receive a full refund of all payments made for that official meetup. Cancellations do not include my absence from events. If I am unable to attend an official meetup, I will notify all attendees and ask for a volunteer from the group to have their name added to our reservation, after which I will contact the venue and give them the updated information. Any additional charges that are incurred will be reimbursed by myself. (Posted as of 08/13/18. Please screenshot this section for future reference, in case of questions, concerns, or disputes.)
• Any payment that is made for an official meetup does not cover the cost of any event that occurs before or after an official meetup (e.g. going out for food, drinks, etc.).
PLEASE BE AWARE: I will not be responsible for disputes concerning the reservation of, payment of, and actions that occur before, during, and after unofficial meetups (events not officially posted by myself on this Meetup page). Members that attend said unofficial meetups will be responsible for their own transactions, agreements, and personal conduct. This includes their own verification for age-restricted events.
The most important rules of our group are: be kind and be honest! This includes, and is not limited to:
• Showing up to events early, not at start time or afterwards
• Working together with your teammates, in a patient and open-minded manner
• Restraining from unwarranted and inappropriate conduct and contact (at events and outside of events)
• Good sportsmanship, in wins and losses!
I'm looking forward to tons of great meetups with everyone,