Beginner / Intermediate Beginner Backpacking - 8 - 12 Miles
Harriman State Park, Tuxedo NY
Learn some skills, test that new gear, teach some skills!
When: Saturday, April 26,[masked]:00 AM
Where: Tuxedo, NY - Harriman State Park
This is a short backpacking trip just an hour from the City. We'll hike in with the day hikers on Saturday, camp out in the park Saturday night, and return to NYC Sunday in the early afternoon.
This is an ideal trip for anyone looking to test their backpacking gear or start backpacking. I'll have time to go over gear and show the basics of camp set-up, cooking considerations, and Leave No Trace principles. I'm also glad to share many of the mistakes I've made so you don't have to make them yourself.
You must have your own pack, tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, food, and cookware. You can share a tent if you like or tents (and sleeping bags) can be rented from REI or EMS. Try to bring a stove, but if you cannot, I'll bring an extra stove to boil water for dehydrated meals or oatmeal in the morning.
This a beginning backpacking trip and doesn't fall within our normal hiking levels.
Terrain: Rolling terrain, not too steep
Elevation Gain: 2000' the first day, second day TBD by the group
Distance: Approximately 8 to 12 miles over two days
Hiking Pace: slow to moderate
The route will be determined over the next few days and announced on this page. Most likely we'll park in Tuxedo and take the trail head from there.
Getting a Spot:
- RSVP with Yes if you can make it. There's no "maybe" because we have very limited spots for this trip. Please respect other members and don't take a spot unless you are going to come.
- Please write in your RSVP if you are driving and from where.
- Update your RSVP if you can't make it.
- You will see a page of questions after you RSVP. Please answer these questions. You will save me the time of having to contact you.
Public Transportation Meeting Location & Return Time:
Trains from Penn Station depart 9:14am and arrive at Tuxedo at 10:17am
Buses from Port Authority depart 9:10am and arrive at Tuxedo at 10:12am
CAR DRIVERS AND RIDERS
Plan to arrive at the Tuxedo train station at 10am.
- Standard over-night backpacking gear - tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc
- Gear lists will be added to this event info in a day or two.
- Plan your own meals - Lunch, dinner, breakfast, lunch, plus snack ( information on cooking an menus will be added to the page in a few days as well.
- Hiking map of Harriman park area and a compass.
- Poncho or rain gear
- 2 liters water minimum
- Headlamp / Flashlight w/extra batteries
-The Harriman map set. ($10 at REI/EMS)
- Email me if you need a Gear Checklist
- Please note: Try to bring shoes suitable to hiking over rocky surfaces. Sneakers will not be the best choice for this trip (you can get by in them, they will just be uncomfortable after a while.) If you plan on buying shoes/ boots before the trip, buy them soon and wear them at home a lot before the trip.
Weather: highs 60s lows 40s
After the Hike:
-Upload your pictures and review the hike!
-Remember to check yourself for ticks. Deer Ticks are barely the size of a newsprint period and often carry Lyme Disease, so check yourself carefully.
See you on the trail!
You agree when you sign up for this group or any of the events that you have read and understand the below.
If you join us for this hike, please understand that you are responsible for your own preparedness, well-being and safety and will hold no one else liable in case of injury or mishap. The organizer will only provide a meeting place for hikers who wish to attend. It is your responsibility to research the event, know the area, bring the proper gear and have the skills necessary to return to the staring point safely. You agree not to hold the Organizer, Assistant Organizers, or any other members responsible for any injuries, mishaps, or any other situation that may happen at a planned event.
Your attendance on a hike signifies that you have read and accept the terms of this liability waiver.