After a hiatus due to (good, er, preferred indifferent) life changes, let's meet up and review the materials for Stoic Week 2013!
Stoic Week 2013 is from November 25-December 2. It is a chance for you to actually put Stoic philosophy into practice for a week and see the results. It is run out of the University of Exeter in the UK, and is the result of a collaboration between professional psychologists, philosophers, and classicists. The goal of Stoic Week is to create and disseminate materials describing how to practice Stoicism in the modern world. It is also acting as a pilot study to see empirically if Stoic practices actually have a positive effect on psychological metrics.
In short, you get to participate in a multinational research project lead by professionals (with support from The New York City Stoics!) on how to actually live Stoically for a flourishing life! You also get to help see whether Stoicism actually holds up to modern scientific scrutiny. It is a great opportunity for new NYC Stoic members to get familiar with Stoicism, and for more experienced members to put their knowledge to use. So don't be shy!
Here are some resources in order to get familiar with Stoic Week 2013:
• Here's the YouTube trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPXUxuDoxA&feature=youtu.be) for Stoic Week 2013
• Read the press release (http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/press-release/) for basic info
• Join in the social media surrounding Stoic Week 2013 on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/events/405931399494165/), Google+ (https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cl39nu4l5mlf4q49d5513g90j74?cfem=1), and Twitter (https://twitter.com/StoicWeek)
• Subcribe to the Stoicism Today blog (http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/)
If it sounds like you want to participate, here's what to do:
• Go here (http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/stoic-week-2013/) and complete the 4 pre-study questionnaires. If you're unsure if you want to participate, feel free to read the Q&A from the introduction to the The Stoic Week 2013 Handbook (http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/stoic-week-2013/stoic-week-2013-handbook/) and skim the table of contents to see if it's right for you
• Next, after filling out the questionnaires, download and review The Stoic Week 2013 handbook (http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/stoic-week-2013/stoic-week-2013-handbook/)in full
• Live Stoically for a week according to the handbook!
• After the week is over, go back to the Stoic Week 2013 page (http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/stoic-week-2013/) and fill out the 4 questionnaires again in the "after" section along with a general feedback form
This Sunday, we'll review how to participate in Stoic Week 2013 and try to get you signed up if you haven't yet, go over the Stoic Week 2013 handbook (http://blogs.exeter.ac.uk/stoicismtoday/stoic-week-2013/stoic-week-2013-handbook/), and perhaps view and review some of the other media associated with Stoic Week 2013 to get you familiar with the material and techniques, address any questions or concerns you may have, and have you ready to start participating on Monday! After Stoic Week 2013 is over, our next meetup will be a debriefing and discussion about our experiences with it.
We've gotten to know each other a little and learned the basics of Stoicism over the past few months. Now let's put our knowledge to use and live Stoically together! See you Sunday!