The New York Magpies’ Women rep the females of the New York Magpies Australian Rules Football Club.
What is Footy?
Australian Rules Football or "Footy" is fast, free-flowing game that is the most popular sport in Australia. Their AFL league is like the equivalent of our NFL league in America. The game is a hybrid of rugby and soccer with a bit of basketball, hockey, football, lacrosse and volleyball thrown in for a good time. But instead of wearing full pads and helmets, you wear tiny shorts, knee high socks and a mouth guard. And you look hotttttttttt. We play in the United States Australian Football League (USAFL) that has 37 men's teams and 14 women's teams around the country. Are you intrigued? Watch this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZYZcoAcU0)about AFL to learn more! You might also want to check out the Women's AFL season highlights (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpYawpeS6vUgtiLdZCi8QRQ) to get a better feel for how women's games are played at the highest level of the sport in Australia.
5 things to Know about the Magpies:
1. With over 100 current members plus thousands of alumni, we are a one of a kind community of locals and expats and have great social events. We are REALLY fun.
2. You can get fit and stay fit throughout the swimsuit season and beyond. Side note - you get to tackle. What's better than that? Besides it's a great stress reliever.
3. You get to travel around the US and sometimes abroad playing an awesome competitive sport.
4. It's an amazing group of people to network with, and there are a lot of great volunteer leadership opportunities on the board of the club if you want to build your skills and show experience on your resume.
5. We are a 501c3 non-profit and we give back to our community.
If you are open to trying a cool, new sport, check us out! We invite women of all skill levels, all fitness levels and all ages. No experience is necessary! Our season runs from March through mid-October. During those months, we practice every Thursday evening at 6pm at Randall's Island Field #85 and have games on various weekends leading up to our National Tournament in mid-October.