addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

"New York Philosophy" Message Board › Monkeys and apes

Monkeys and apes

A former member
Post #: 144

Why are there random mutations?

Evolution or science in general, definitely does not have the answer to that. The whys will get us all the way back to the other thread on the beginning of the world...or any thread on the meaning/purpose of the world.

My orginal statement still stands "that it doesn't explain why one stayed the same and the other went the other way". In order to answer that question the origin of the random mutations must be attacked.
sascha
user 3408005
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 21

Why are there random mutations?

Evolution or science in general, definitely does not have the answer to that. The whys will get us all the way back to the other thread on the beginning of the world...or any thread on the meaning/purpose of the world.

My orginal statement still stands "that it doesn't explain why one stayed the same and the other went the other way". In order to answer that question the origin of the random mutations must be attacked.

Stacy, I'm not sure what you mean by one stayed the same and the other went the other way.
Are you asking why some genes mutate and the next person/or animals does not?
If so I don't think the process is perfectly understood at this point, but I believe the mutations are caused by radiation from the sun.
You can explain why some get mutated and others don't in that some people get sunburned and some do not.
The people who get sunburned in areas where being sunburnt is especially sexy and/or strong-making will tend to have lots of kids (coz they can) and then pass off their sunburn to the next generations thereby passing along good genetic information useful to future generations..
I'm not sure if that's what you mean tho....
A former member
Post #: 148
exactly
PiWi
user 3398759
Virginia Water, GB
Post #: 47

believe the mutations are caused by radiation from the sun.
You can explain why some get mutated and others don't in that some people get sunburned and some do not.
The people who get sunburned in areas where being sunburnt is especially sexy and/or strong-making will tend to have lots of kids (coz they can) and then pass off their sunburn to the next generations thereby passing along good genetic information useful to future generations..

So if the sun died tomorrow, and we somehow managed to stay alive by having stored huge amounts of energy, would we no longer be subject to mutations? I doubt it.

After digging a bit, i found this article http://learn.genetics...­
Seems like DNA can be damaged from:
- environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, nuclear radiation, or certain chemicals.
- mistakes in DNA replication. Like all biological processes, DNA replication is not perfect. It does its job amazingly well most of the time, but not 100% of the time.

Stacy, your question made me think of the broader issue of whether there are true "random" phenomena at our macroscopic scale. We know that at the quantum level, the uncertainty principle allows for a certain kind of randomness or inderterminacy. But i've always been curious to know whether that translates into any randomness/inderterminacy at the macro level, once the quantum superposition and all the other weird quantum stuff is no longer in effect.

Not sure this is really the right forum for this, but couldn't resist raising the question.

PWi
A former member
Post #: 159

believe the mutations are caused by radiation from the sun.

So if the sun died tomorrow, and we somehow managed to stay alive by having stored huge amounts of energy, would we no longer be subject to mutations? I doubt it.

After digging a bit, i found this article http://learn.genetics...­
Seems like DNA can be damaged from:
- environmental factors such as ultraviolet light, nuclear radiation, or certain chemicals.
- mistakes in DNA replication. Like all biological processes, DNA replication is not perfect. It does its job amazingly well most of the time, but not 100% of the time.

Stacy, your question made me think of the broader issue of whether there are true "random" phenomena at our macroscopic scale. We know that at the quantum level, the uncertainty principle allows for a certain kind of randomness or inderterminacy. But i've always been curious to know whether that translates into any randomness/inderterminacy at the macro level, once the quantum superposition and all the other weird quantum stuff is no longer in effect.

Not sure this is really the right forum for this, but couldn't resist raising the question.

PWi
I think that it is more deterministic.
PiWi
user 3398759
Virginia Water, GB
Post #: 51

Wait a minute here. Are you saying that Science and Evolution are interchangable? "Evolution or science in general" wow. such a meme.

Wooooah. That is so far off base if you are trying that one on us.

Jacob

I take it that evolution is part of biological sciences. Hence the reference to evolution as as subset of science. They are not interchangeable, but one is a particular instance of the other.

Anything wrong with that?
avra c.
divermate
New York, NY
Post #: 411
Amusing and thought provoking short video on the monkey/man connection:

Passing Out Bananas

Comment is invited... Avra