addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 264
What makes a belief justified?
A former member
Post #: 115

Absolutely nothing. Why?
Because belief is arbitrary and is therefore ruled by emotionalism, opposes absolutely reason-logic and is responsible for every evil committed in history.

Name the tyrrany, including tyranny of the mind, and you will find belief to be the energy.
A former member
Post #: 1

Absolutely nothing. Why?
Because belief is arbitrary and is therefore ruled by emotionalism, opposes absolutely reason-logic and is responsible for every evil committed in history.

Name the tyrrany, including tyranny of the mind, and you will find belief to be the energy.

I fail to see how or why something that is 'arbitrary' is therefore ruled by 'emotionalism'.

Are you familiar with the disputes concerning knowledge and justified true belief?
A former member
Post #: 267
I fail to see how or why something that is 'arbitrary' is therefore ruled by 'emotionalism'. (quote)

Because some people use their opinions to judge something instead of an established belief based on the facts.
A former member
Post #: 267
I say what makes a belief justified is if it brings forth justice.
A former member
Post #: 116
What­ makes a belief justified?

Absolutely nothing. Why?

I fail to see how or why something that is 'arbitrary' is therefore ruled by 'emotionalism'.

Are you familiar with the disputes concerning knowledge and justified true belief?

Anything that cannot be proven or logically inferred is ruled by emotionalism because it is believed because the person wants something to be so. This is emotion and therefore the act is emotionalism.

The term "true belief" is a non sequitur.
A former member
Post #: 117
I say what makes a belief justified is if it brings forth justice.

The ends never justify the means, ever.
A former member
Post #: 3
­What makes a belief justified?

Absolutely nothing. Why?

Anything that cannot be proven or logically inferred is ruled by emotionalism because it is believed because the person wants something to be so. This is emotion and therefore the act is emotionalism.

The term "true belief" is a non sequitur.

I think that it is important to distinguish between notions of 'belief'. It seems as if you are using 'belief' along the lines of 'faith' and as perhaps injecting desire into the external world as a means of 'mastering' this world (as in 'I believe in my country'). Typically, however, 'belief' in the discourses of epistemology is generally taken to mean to think that something is true. Belief, truth, justification, and knowledge are (or were) intricately connected here. In the early '60's, Gettier wrote a very short paper in which he constructed a thought experiment that demonstrated that knowledge, as it had been more or less held throughout the history of western thought, was not a matter of having a belief that is justified and that is true. Look into it; fascinating stuff.
A former member
Post #: 2

Wouldn't that rule out things like killing in self-defense, medical amputation to save a patient's life, any sort of painful medical treatment on a child, etc.?
A former member
Post #: 120

Wouldn't that rule out things like killing in self-defense, medical amputation to save a patient's life, any sort of painful medical treatment on a child, etc.?

No, because it rules out doing that which is unjust, irrational, sacrificial or harmful. The issues you mention are not.

Self-defense applies in terms of a free nation only. So Hussein's Iraq fighting against American forces was not self-defense or Nazi Germany fighting back against the Allies was also not self defense.