addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

"New York Philosophy" Message Board › Insanity - Questions

Insanity - Questions

John
user 3730734
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Feel free to add your questions for the topic of insanity. The best questions will be selected by PiWi for incorporation into the handouts for the event.
Doug & N.
RosePedals
Jackson Heights, NY
Post #: 15
Here's a possible question that might be good to debate:

In Ford v. Wainwright (1986), the US Supreme Court upheld the common law rule that the insane cannot be executed. Should our tax dollars be used to sustain insane criminals behind bars, in jail for life, or in psychiatric wards when there is no hope for rehabilitation? Why?

Good Luck
Luna
user 3055119
Astoria, NY
Here's a possible question that might be good to debate:

In Ford v. Wainwright (1986), the US Supreme Court upheld the common law rule that the insane cannot be executed. Should our tax dollars be used to sustain insane criminals behind bars, in jail for life, or in psychiatric wards when there is no hope for rehabilitation? Why?

Good Luck

Yes! I was almost attacked by a "crazy" guy in the park in the Summer. If it wasn't for my dog, I don't what would've happened to me. When the police arrived they said that they couldn't do anything, unless something would've happened to me and in any case, if the guy was to kill me all he could get was to be taken to a ward handcuffed... I have worked since I was 13, I went to school, live a normal life, but most importantly I pay my taxes and. Yet it means nothing if an insane guy was to murder me. The law protecting insane criminals is insane itself.
A former member
Feel free to add your questions for the topic of insanity. The best questions will be incorporated in the handouts for the event.

Not to get super heavy, but can we discuss how definitions of sanity and insanity have been used as very powerful social/religious/political controls in most societies since pretty much the dawn of time? And how the label of "insane" can profoundly affect one's course in life from education, to reproduction, to even incarceration?
Joe S.
conduit
Mastic, NY
Post #: 48
Hi Folks,

I'd start by defining sanity. To be sane is to think and act consistently to what is true. When we think or act inconsistently to what is universally true, we are being insane.

For example, to be standing in the street and expect a rock to drop up into the sky when released is thinking insanely - not because it's not possible for a rock to drop up. Rather, because the rock is not likely to drop up while standing in the street on planet Earth. To be clear, rocks may drop up somewhere - just not here. It all depends on where we stand.

Insanity shows its ugly head subtly. Here's an example:

We say we hate child abuse. In our disdain for the abuser and in our convictions to stop it or declare our opinion of it, we may display anger and judgment - particularly against child abuse offenders. Additionally, we leave bulletins, send out e-mails, have discussions, etc. about how we hate these cowards. To boot, we'll declare that whoever doesn't agree is ignorant, foolish, an idiot, etc. We apply guilt to manipulate friends, family, co-workers, etc. to forward the e-mail.

Here's the insanity in it. Child abuse is born from the same energy that judges child abusers. The hate, disdain, contempt, judgment, guilt and manipulation that we display and impose in our conversation about abuse or any form of violence are the same ingredients that bring the thing we say don't want. This is insane behavior.

Our expressions are violent and beget more of the same. It's the stuff from which abuse is born. WE GIVE IT LIFE by feeding it.. by extending more of the same, abuse thrives. Violence thrives.

This is insane for one reason only. It's insane because we say we don't want the violence, and yet we continue the behavior that perpetuates it. We do this consciously or not.

The good news is that we can do this sanely. How? We may become conscious about it and notice what we're doing and admit it. That way we can keep up the hostility we crave, sanely. It is not insane to crave violence. It's human nature. We crave struggle. We crave it for the Love that is accessed through it. LOVE IS THE DESIRED OUTCOME.

To stop child abuse, we need to put in what's missing, that if put in would displace the experience that causes child abuse or any form of violence. LOVE IS MISSING.

Love and violence cannot exist in the same space and time. It's either one or the other. Each displaces the other.

Imagine this: "War Against Terrorism". This is an insane premise. Why do we entertain it as if it is sane? We entertain it because we crave the struggle that it brings. Why do we crave the struggle? We crave the struggle because the struggle gives us access to what we really want. WE WANT LOVE.

Conflicts are cracks through which Love flows. We need hate to know Love, the same way we need cold to know hot. It's as simple as that.

We need hate to recognize Love, and celebrate it. Love is the desired income. Love is the goal. It's available eternally, always and all ways. We either allow Love to flow or we don't. We do this consciously or not. It's a choice.

The challenge is that we tend to forget that the conflicts are our tools to access Love. We treat the conflicts as if they are the important factor. Insanity creeps in.

We forget that conflicts are only signs that point in the direction that Love can be found. That's it - not very complicated at all.

Addicted and unconscious as we are, we'll invalidate this premise for something complicated. Why? Hehehe.. Because we crave the conflict and struggle, OF COURSE. ;)

Where else do we operate insanely?

How do we know when we are being sane?

Cheers,

Joe

Conduit to Flow
Elaine
user 2552379
New York, NY
Post #: 201
I have already sent in my suggestions by mental telepathy to the members of this Meet-up. For those of you have some interference in the ether and were unable to receive them, I'm sorry but I can't put them up in a public place where any old spy could see them.

Here are my public suggestions:

I have recently reviewed a book by a Catholic theologian, so I have been thinking more than usual about religious beliefs and sanity. This might be out of bounds if we have a group with many presumably sane people who believe his theology makes sense.

How about people who have "religious experiences" but only some of the time, and have mixed feelings about those experiences when they're not having them? Some effort is being made (by neurologists) to study this although most of the previous analyses of it have been of a classic religious nature.

How about the legal revolution in this country when people diagnosed as psychopaths and unable to care for themselves were released from institutions because the SC said no one could be institutionalized against their will unless the gov't could demonstrate they were dangerous to themselves or others.

How about discussing circumstances when episodes of "insanity" are taken to give people genuine insight that we or they can't normally recognize?
EddieN
user 3740480
New York, NY
Post #: 98
We could also discuss how different cultures around the world define insanity, or how they "prove" that someone is insane. For instance, in the west, we commonly joke that "talking to oneself is the first sign of insanity", but is this the case elsewhere in the world?
A former member
Post #: 3
Feel free to add your questions for the topic of insanity. The best questions will be incorporated in the handouts for the event.

If man finds himself in others?
Is it others who find man insane?

Where does insanity begin and end?
Does it begin with society as a collective whole and end with the individual?

Was Hitler insane?
To the Germans, to the Jews?
A former member
Technically, the word "insane" is a legal term. What are your views on replacing the "not guilty by reason of insanity" plea with a "guilty but mentally ill" plea as some states have done in recent years?
Maria
user 3561041
Astoria, NY
My questions would be:

How is insanity defined in medical terms? Or who defines it anyways?
Is there a brain, neuro whatever description to it?

how are emotions included in all this (as insanity is not only mental). I would actually love to hear about the connection between thoughts and emotions (but not just the new age blah blah of positive thinking and how thoughts are supposed to create reality, please)
Where do psychological illnesses fit into all this?

What is the difference between mentally ill and genious?

I personally don't believe anyone is much more sane than others (even if we go in and out of practical phases in life and some people are more financially or socially successful than others). I think the biggest insanity is to try to act properly sane.
But again.. i may be insane :)