addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

"New York Philosophy" Message Board › GOP health care bill

GOP health care bill

Avi
user 10462276
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 1
John,

I intended to post this later this week, but I seem to be unable to sleep until I get this out of my system. smile

This message is in regard to our discussion on health care policy this evening.

I made an error when I said it was Paul Ryan that proposed the GOP health care bill that I said was scored by the CBO. Paul Ryan is still a Republican in the House, but he didn't propose this bill. The bill was proposed by John Boehner. Sorry for the error.

The remaining part of what I said was accurate, however. The bill does seem to match your description, was proposed about a month ago, and the CBO did score it:

http://www.cbo.gov/ft...­

You can see on page 10 that the CBO projects the bill will reduce the uninsured population by only 3 million in 2019, relative to the baseline. And further, the CBO's projections suggest the bill would have harmful effects too. The CBO says on page 5:

"As explained below, some provisions of the legislation would tend to decrease the premiums paid by all insurance enrollees, while other provisions would tend to increase the premiums paid by less healthy enrollees or would tend to increase the premiums paid by enrollees in some states relative to enrollees in other states."

I would argue that making health insurance less affordable for the people who need it most is a step in the wrong direction.
A former member
Post #: 3
I'd say that making health insurance less affordable is the current business model we're operating under. Social Darwinism at it's finest. American , great country or whatl????