addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The New York City Rat Meetup Group Message Board › rat sitting options

rat sitting options

Carola
lala24
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 1
Hi all. Just joined this forum as I am very interested in adopting a pair of rats but have many questions! To start, I am wondering what options you've all found in terms of finding sitters to care for your little creatures when you're away. Most of my friends have cats and/or wouldn't be too keen on taking in rats since they are unfamiliar with their needs (and adorableness!). Are there reliable and affordable rat sitting services in NYC? I live in Bklyn but would also be willing to drop off in Manhattan. Or maybe I could swap rat sitting services with someone through this forum? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Raquel
Raquel2
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 1,877
Hi Carola,

The Center for Avian and Exotic Medicine (NYC) boards rats. Please check their website for information. Please screen any sitters by asking good questions and using your instincts. You may also post to our Mailing List: rat-30 @meetup.com (no space).

Thank you,
Raquel
Linda S.
user 13988703
New York, NY
Post #: 2
I've boarded rats within the past two years with Center for Avian etc. and also St. Mark's Veterinary Hospital, 348 East 9th St., NYC 10003, 212-477-2688, both with excellent results. And many cat/dog etc. sitters will also visit rats.
Linda Stein
A former member
Post #: 92
I have rat-sat for people, and I have had friends who have done it for me. I don't think you would have any problems finding a sitter. I would recommend posting here in the community first, and always get references. It would probably not be necessary to search Craigslist for a sitter, or pay for boarding. It is probably easier to find someone willing to visit your home, as most people are reluctant to risk bringing strange rats into their homes unless absolutely necessary to minimize the risk of spreading illness. Most sitters charge per visit, and it depends on how many visits per day, how many rats, the travel cost, etc. one visit per day would be the minimum. When I travel from lower manhattan to Brooklyn to pet sit, I usually am given a train pass to cover the travel. I would think you would probably be able to find someone to swap sitting duties, or find someone in your neighborhood willing to swing by to check on the rats.

Lisa a
Carola
lala24
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 2
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I just got on the list to adopt two boys from Farmhouse Rat's next litter… I'm excited and will keep you posted!
Raquel
Raquel2
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 1,880
Hi Carola,

Farmhouse Rats is a responsible breeder, whom I recommend. Enjoy your rats in good health and please stay in touch.

Tnank you,
Raquel