addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Bay Area Night Photography Message Board Active Discussions › Protecting your photos from theft and identifying and pressuring the thieves

Protecting your photos from theft and identifying and pressuring the thieves

Sarita
user 11681784
Santa Clara, CA
Post #: 38
Here is a link to a good article on protecting your photos from theft. http://photo.tutsplus...­

Below is an email I received today from an organizer from another meetup and is very relevant to our group:

A couple of days ago in response to an email I had sent out, I heard back from a (former) member, Paul D. about being a volunteer photographer. I mention his name because I want everyone to be aware of this guy. He had a link to his website which I checked out, and I was immediately shocked to discover three images that belonged to someone else in our group. This guy was publicly claiming the images as his own. After some research and a few scathing emails and FB postings, he chose to remove himself from Meetup altogether, deleted his FB Photography page, his Flickr account and his own website. I suspect that many of the other images on his sites were probably stolen as well.

The moral of the story here is that anytime you post an image, it is open to online theft. There is no way around this fact, whether you post here, or on FB, Flickr, or anywhere. It is truly disheartening as a photographer to discover that someone else is claiming your work. In a group like ours, where photography is all we do and sharing our work is essential to learning, it is extremely frustrating. Please read this link on How you should be posting your photographs if you would like more information on posting online or have concerns.

The good news is that with pressure from the photographic community, we can shut people like Paul D. down. I would encourage all of you to always be mindful of this as you are scanning the web and you come across anything suspicious. We can make a difference.
Enrico
user 13025968
Fremont, CA
Post #: 199
If you put stuff online it can get stolen, that is just how it is. Just reduce the size to something like 600 or 800 pixel and put a watermark in a place in the picture that cannot be cropped/cloned out.