The Spanish have more acres of wine planted than any other country in the world-- a veritable empire of crisp, flinty whites and dark, muddy reds. Yet Spain is virtually unknown compared to its famous cousins France and Italy. With both a wealth of indigenous grape varietals and masterful blends made from Tempranillo, Garnacha (Grenache), and Monastrell, Spanish wine production from areas like Rioja, Ribera del Duero, and Priorat have recently taken both attention and awards away from their neighbors. In this tasting, we'll take a tour around Spain and get a sense of how the Spanish view life and wine-- with, of course, tapas to pair. The best thing about Spanish wine is the value it delivers!
Wines for Tasting (subject to availability):
- 2011 Martin Codax Albariño (Rias Baxias, SP)
- 2012 Sábrego Valdeorras DO Godello (Valdeorras, SP)
- 2012 Shaya Old Vines Verdejo (Rueda, SP)
- 2012 Ateca "Honoro Vera" Garnacha (Calatayud, SP)
- 2012 Torremoron Tempranillo (Ribera Del Duero, SP)
- 2012 La Cartuja Priorat (Priorat, SP)
- 2012 Rio Madre Rioja (Rioja, SP)
- 2009 Muga Rioja Riserva (Rioja, SP)
- 2008 Marques de Griñon "Caliza" (Dominio de Valdepusa, SP)
As usual, we'll start off with a quick discussion about smelling, tasting, pairing, buying and storing wine. Gourmet small bites will be served to pair, but you may want to plan on dinner after. Please pay via Paypal when you RSVP. (If you would like to pay by cash or check, send an email to [masked]) If you don't eat/like any particular food, PLEASE let us know in advance-- otherwise we'll assume you eat everything!