addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

North Dallas Area Retro Computing Message Board › Local Source For 5.25" Floppies?

Local Source For 5.25" Floppies?

A former member
Post #: 1
I found a solitary 5.25" floppy disk in my home search and confirmed my ability to ADTPro-audio-bootstrap a recently-acquired Apple //e and then use the floppy to boot. It works. And I even notched the other side with a hole punch and used side B, too.

So now I need quite a few more 5.25" floppy disks. Does anyone know of a local source? I'm in Irving. It would be nice to run out and get some this weekend, but if not there are plenty of online sources.
A former member
Post #: 5
I might have a box I have not used that I can bring to the meeting this weekend. Should be double density rather than high density, that work for your Apple 2?
A former member
Post #: 2
One: Double density would be fine. Apple II diskettes are 140kB.
Two: There's a meeting this weekend? I don't see any meetings on the calendar.

Additional: I rediscovered Electronic Discount Sales in Arlington. They had a few 10-packs of apparently-new 5.25" floppies including some brands I trusted back in the day. But I went for a bulk pack of cheapies they had. I know from back in the day that you have to expect that a sizeable portion of those will not work well, but so far I am 0-fer in getting any of them working. :(

UPDATE: After reading some more on the internet, my bargain diskettes are HD 1.2MB diskettes which apparently are known not to work well or at all in Apple 5.25" drives. So the diskettes aren't necessarily bad; it's just that they aren't the right material for an Apple II drive.
A former member
Post #: 6
Alright see if I can hunt down a box in the next hour. Here is the information I found on the internet about today's meeting:

North Dallas Area Retro Computing Meeting

Sunday, Feb 9 5:00p to 7:00p
More dates & times (10)

Dallas Makerspace Dallas, TX

Apple IIs, Coleco, ZX Spectrums, Atari, Commodore, Amigas
Nintendo, Atari 2600, Coleco Vision, Intellivision, DreamCast etc.

We will have a show and tell for the following:

Demo of retr0bright, lets clean up your machines.
http://en.wikipedia.....­

Commodore 64 Geos Operating System
http://en.wikipedia.....­)

Archiving Data from to your PC.

and Playing Retro Video Games.
A former member
Post #: 8
Found a box of of Imation 3M Double Density disks that has 8 disks in it not used. I will try to be at the posted meeting that I listed above and at the very worst I could meet with you for a few minutes and hand off these disks.
A former member
Post #: 3
I see that meeting listed on the Dallas Morning News site but not on Meetup nor Makerspace's site. I would gladly pick up the diskettes, but I wouldn't impose on you to make the drive just to hand them out.

Have you been to these meetings or this place before? Is there a meeting or a stale recurring notice on some website?
A former member
Post #: 9
Tell you what give me a call and we can work something out. For all I know we live on the same side of town. :) 214-669-3403
A former member
Post #: 15
Well I still have the floppies, and if you are up for a retro computer meeting, come join the next Amiga club meeting on April 7th!

Here is the information:
Subject: MCCC April Meeting
Reply-To: nedkelly@ticnet.com

Hi,

Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday, April 7, at 7:30 PM at
the main Grand Prairie library.

Sincerely,
Ned Kelly
email: nedkelly@ticnet.com
Stephen W.
mrcity
Dallas, TX
Post #: 5
There's a fellow named Shawn Christian (@Shawn_Christian on the Dallas Makerspace Talk forum) who has tons of 5.25" 1.2MB floppies still new in box, I do believe. He usually hangs out in the workshop or pinball area of DMS.