Have you always loved getting out into nature whatever the weather, would you like to continue this regardless of the onset of parenthood?
Tired of arranging a full day out only for it to end up as a five minute pram around a park before everyone heads home due a spot of drizzle?
Do you feel it might be easier to instil a love of the great outdoors in your kids if there were other kids to play with as they run up the hills together?
If you feel that it’s important to get your little ones out and about, walking, hiking, biking, climbing, scrambling, swimming, camping or whatever and want to meet like-minded families then this could be the group for you.
This new group aims to organise longer family days out in nature that will require some degree of walking stamina from kids and/or a good child carrier rucksack.
That being said we are well aware that with young kids anything can happen on the day, from refusal to walk, or being distracted by a puddle for an hour, so while we will always aim to summit hills & do longer distances if we can, we understand that sometimes this may become unrealistic on the day and we may have to turn back sooner, but the aim is to get out in nature and have fun.
This group is all about its members and everyone is encouraged to organise events if they wish, so please add any suggestions for outings to the discussion board & let us know if you want adding as an event organiser on the Meetup page.
· When joining FOG please ensure you have a photo which allows other members to identify you.
· No adults without kids & all kids must be accompanied by an adult on all outings.
· Kids of all ages and their adults are welcome, as long as they are old enough to be carried in a child carrier for longer periods, or don’t mind the slower pace set by those with shorter legs.
· When you RSVP an event, please indicate how many guests (family members) you will bring with you. If you decide not to come, please let us know asap so organisers know what to expect and aren’t waiting around for you to arrive.
· Obviously, some of the events may involve risk and all participants are reminded event organizers are not professionals, your families safety is your responsibility. Please make sure you are properly prepared and equipped for the event, suitable clothing, food & drink, first aid kit etc.
Hefin & Jess decided to start this outdoor group after trying to find an outdoor group specifically for families and although there are many great outdoor groups in the area, there did not seem to be any in this category. Whether this is due to lack of demand still remains to be seen, but we hope there are other families who love the outdoors like us and want to share ideas on local mini-adventures, days out, holiday ideas etc.
We live in North Leeds with our superior commanders (two daughters) ages 3 & 5. We look forward to exploring the great outdoors with you!
Our hikes will often be rocky, muddy, trails with short scrambles or obstacles along the way, which we find are usually the kids favourite parts. But risk/ability can be highly subjective so please give a brief description of what to expect when posting events so that parents can make the decision on whether to attend.